DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 1st October 2021
Spam Deminer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trihex View Post
I've never had a Facebook, Instagram, etc account and only do forums.
You're very wise. I've used all of the social media platforms. Facebook was the last to go. As a recovering addict (I've been clean for over 6 years) I know the signs of addiction. Digital addiction is very real. These forums and other forums are my form of social media today.
Fdisk Soldier

Location: I don't live today, maybe tomorrow. I just can't say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
You're very wise.
Not so much anymore, I'm afraid.

I haven't drank for 25 years, 26 this coming April, so I do still have that going for me. The longer you go without drinking the less a part of your like it becomes and the easier it gets. Six years is a long time and an accomplishment you can be proud of.

I don't know anyone who uses a computer besides my Sister, and she just knows the program she uses. When she gets off work she doesn't want to touch one and admits she couldn't follow my tutorial.

They all have smartphones and Facebook going constantly. Everybody wants to know what they had for breakfast. I wouldn't have Internet if I only had a phone, and I've never had a smartphone.

The only guy I've ever met personally who actually knew what FreeBSD was, turned out to live in the same building as me. Then died of an overdose in his apartment a few months ago before we really had time to talk. He had a degree in Computer Science - Communications and had drank it away by then.

You and I are doing pretty good when you think about it.
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Not so much anymore, I'm afraid.

I haven't drank for 25 years, 26 this coming April, so I do still have that going for me. The longer you go without drinking the less a part of your like it becomes and the easier it gets. Six years is a long time and an accomplishment you can be proud of.
Thanks for sharing your story! Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate that! It's wonderful to meet someone with long term clean time! My life was a write off when I was in active addiction. These days I sponsor several men and I try to carry the message in NA. I cleaned up May 23, 2015.

Quote:
You and I are doing pretty good when you think about it.
We're blessed, mate.
Too dumb for a smartphone

Facebook re-brands to "Meta" ... although keeping the Facebook name for that part of its service.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Spam Deminer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Facebook re-brands to "Meta" ... although keeping the Facebook name for that part of its service.
Interesting! Thanks for the link. I've been away from Facebook (meta) for a little over a month now.
Too dumb for a smartphone

You're welcome, and keep up the good work !
Old 4 Days Ago
tying up some loose ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
cynwulf,

Two years later and I made the mistake of creating an account on FaceBook. The platform is highly addictive and I didn't enjoy what I did there. I was on Facebook for about a year again. The platform is insidious.
Hopefully now that I have deleted my FaceBook account again I do not come back to it.
The various lock downs, etc may have triggered many to return to the "platform"... and of course big tech, (not to mention big pharma) have made billions (trillions?)... it is absolutely insidious by design.

You're not alone - I expect many fell back to old habits. I installed Windows 10...

I have never been "on it", so I can't really relate to it. I have only seen the continuously swiping zombies on the train, looking at photos and animated memes and then quickly tapping out some response or "liking" someone's new hair do or whatever...

For me it's all very banal and superficial - but to be clear, and for full disclosure: I'm a very anti-social person. Family excepted (well some family...), I've never liked other people, if I have to deal with them, then I prefer to deal with one person at a time, large groups annoy me - mainly because people stop behaving as individuals and I have to listen to trivial conversations and chit chat on subjects which I have zero interest in, but am expected to know all about. So this likely makes me "social network incompatible" (immune?).

Last edited by cynwulf; 4 Days Ago at 03:15 PM.