DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2013
Port Guard

Default Noisy G5

Hi all.

I'm trying to breath some life into an old imac G5 they're throwing out at work, so I put OpenBSD on it. The install was super fast, most impressive and easy. But I have an issue with the fans blasting at full speed.

I've search around and found some old mailing list stuff from 2009 claiming there is no fan control in OpenBSD, but I wondered if this was still the case?

No way I can sit using the machine with that amount of noise!

I'm using OpenBSD 5.3, imac g5 (not isight). Any thoughts or clarification of possibility would be appreciated.

Cheers,
J
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjohn View Post
...I have an issue with the fans blasting at full speed.
The number of regulars at this site is relatively small, & the number of people working with Apple hardware is smaller still. Having read the project's ppc@ mailing list for years (although with mis-categorized traffic bleeding into misc@...), Apple historically tweaks hardware throughout the production run of all models. Has this been fully addressed in the hardware complement you have? I don't know.

I have the following two suggestions:
  • Install -current, & see if fan problems persist. If you do ultimately file a bug report, the first thing the developers will be interested in determining is the behavior seen with the latest code base. Development on OpenBSD 5.3 ended nearly nine months ago. Development on OpenBSD 5.4 ended a couple of months ago.

If you are unfamiliar with -current, study Section 5.1 of the official FAQ.
  • Posting to the official ppc@ mailing be more in order as well as filing a bug report. Information on filing can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/report.html

Information on subscribing to the ppc@ mailing list can be found at:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

What you are wanting is to get to the correct audience. This site doesn't have a significant number of Apple users to properly address your questions.
Feel free to post any follow-up questions, but again, the number of people with experience running OpenBSD on Apple hardware on this site is very limited.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2013
Port Guard

Ah I see how the releases work now. Apologies, I had presumed 'current' to be the equivalent of Debian's 'testing'.

I shall install current and post to the relevant development mailing list if the problem persists.

Thanks for the pointer.
J
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th October 2013
Administrator

If you either file a bug report or post to ppc@, any information given will be taken more seriously if you provide the entire output of dmesg(8). This will provide to developers the kernel's interpretation of the hardware environment, & perhaps answer many other questions they will undoubtedly have about your particular machine.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2013
Port Guard

What, you didn't like Apple's imitation of a jet engine?

Funny enough, I did have a G5 sitting around. I ran into the same issue, but the last time I tried OpenBSD on it was back on 5.1.

What I would do is this. Set the apmd flag in your /etc/rc.conf.local file.
Code:
apmd_flags="-C"
Then turn off the machine so it cools down. Turn it on again after a few minutes and see what happens. I would also look at the cpu frequency in sysctl(8) and make sure that it's scaled down.

Tags
fan, fans, g5, imac, openbsd