DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default setup gdm for fluxbox on FreeBSD 6.2

I have searched and found many ways of setting up gdm, none of which have worked for me.

How do I properly setup gdm on FreeBSD6.2 to go into fluxbox when I login?

Also I have it automatically logging in but it still asks for a password, how do I get past this?

What I have tried
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/...ok/x11-wm.html
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/en/faq.php#gdm
http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?ti...fluxbox_to_gdm
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Li.../msg00010.html
http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/812/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
Slack Daemon

So do you need gdm, or actually you would like to log in straight to fluxbox without supplying password?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I would like to just login automatically into my 'guest' user account into fluxbox. I was just told that the only way to do this was with either gdm or kdm.

If there is another way please let me know.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
Slack Daemon

Ok. To login automatically as normal account:

- Open the file /etc/ttys for editting

- Disable xdm:

ttyv8 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm off secure.

- Edit the line started with ttyv0, change off to on, and put your desired username there:

ttyv0 "/usr/libexec/getty username" cons25 on secure

- Put the following lines in your shell startup file:

Code:
if [ `tty` = /dev/ttyv0 ]; then
  xinit
fi
That pretty much is.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th October 2008
Arp Constable

GDM should also support setting up an automatic login in the configuration program.

To start GDM and an X server on startup, as documented in the FreeBSD handbook add gdm_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf, and make sure there is nothing in /etc/ttys starting another X system (e.g. kdm, xdm, x). To make GDM use Fluxbox as your window manager, you need to tell it to launch it. For details, read the gdm documentation

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

bsddaemon.
I get a getty error when I try that:
getty: unknown gettytab entry 'guest'
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
Arp Constable

According to the system manual, getty takes the optional arguments 'type from /etc/gettytab' and the tty to work with. Thus when you say, "ttyv0 "/usr/libexec/getty username" cons25 on secure" in /etc/ttys, you are basically saying on ttyv0, /sbin/init should run getty username, set $TERM to cons25, and users with uid 0 (root) are allowed to log in. See the ttys and getty manual pages for details.

To use the Gnome Display Manager (GDM) on FreeBSD, you should never have to edit /etc/ttys beyond what comes with FreeBSD; the xdm session comes pre-disabled as an example.

Questions:
  1. Do you want to automatically start fluxbox when your PC starts or login first?
    • If so, do you wish to login via console or graphical login program?
  2. Do you have a working X.Org configuration?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

1. I want it to automatically start fluxbox when my PC starts as user 'guest'

2. Yes my X config is working and I can manually login as guest and it will take me directly to fluxbox.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2008
Arp Constable

To enable GDM on startup, edit /etc/rc.conf and add the line: gdm_enable="YES"

To enable auto login for user 'guest', run gdmsetup -> you can use the configure menu at the GDM screen on boot, or launch gdmsetup as root after logging in. Once the configuration program (gdmsetup) is up, go to the 'Security' tab, click Enable Automatic Login', and enter the desired user name in the line edit. This will keep gdm from asking for a password. If your user account requires a password in order to login (such as at the system console). you also might have to setup PAM to allow that account to login w/o a password.

To enable Fluxbox as the window manager, you should create a session for it in GDM and make it the default, or set GDM to run the X clients script. If your guest account is just what its name implies, for guests, for security reasons you probably want to use a session file for it instead of the X clients script method.

-> session file method. Create /usr/local/share/xsessions/Fluxbox.desktop with the following content:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Fluxbox
Comment=Launch a Fluxbox session
Exec=startfluxbox
Type=Application
Now run the gdmsetup program as noted above, and set the default session to 'Fluxbox'. You can edit the .desktop file to suit your needs, check the other .desktop files in that directory for an idea of what you can do.

-> X clients file method

Create a shell script in the user accounts home directory named .xsession, chmod it 0700, and place the necessary startup commands in it (usually startfluxbox). Then run the gdmsetup program as noted above, and set the default session to run x clients file.

The main issue for concern is, the user will be able to edit ~/.xsession and do anything they want, with the user permissions of their account.

disclaimer I use GDM a lot, but never actually had time to RTFM; just figure it out from within.

Old 10th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Everything is working, except gdm keeps asking for a password even though my guest user account has nothing/blank for a password.

I've read up on some of the PAM configuration and it looks like I have to use pam_guest in my /etc/pam.d/login file is this correct?

What would the configuration line be to allow access to the 'guest' login with no password?