DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2014
Spam Deminer

Default NetBSD 6.1.N installation

The last time I installed NetBSD was the 6.0.N versions, and over the weekend I attempted to install 6.1.2 and 6.1.3 (no binary packages yet) and each time after the install completed and I rebooted, it couldn't find a kernel.

I've installed NetBSD countless times over the years and have never encountered this problem. It is a netbook that I used when I tested npf, so I know for a fact it used to be installed.

It can't find netbsd and then goes on to look for other kernels and finally stops at
Code:
>
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2014
Shell Scout

That's really strange. I have 6.1.2 on my netbook and the installation process went smoothly, as always. I haven't tried 6.1.3 though. I was once having problems with sysupgrade'ing NetBSD, after which I just re-installed system on a clean partition and all was fine. So in case you were installing the OS on an unformatted partition I highly recommend to format it before going further.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2014
Spam Deminer

Used a Seagate external usb drive and it works. Not sure why the internal isn't working, but it doesn't matter now.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2014
New User

I have exact the same problem. I tried to install NetBSD 6.1.3 on an AMD E-350 board and the boot loader can't find a kernel. A installation in VirtualBox works without any problems. I also tried a hard disk and a ssd. Both get the same result.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2014
New User

I've solved the installation problem. There were parts of a gpt partition on the disk. So it seems that the bootloader has trouble with this fragments. Afer deleting theses parts a new installation boots without any problems. Just deleting the beginning of the disk did not solve the problem, because gpt parts are at the beginning and the end of a disk.