DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Port Guard

Question Opera Widget Javascript Troubles

I sometimes browse the net with Opera 9.51 on my Vista box. I block scripts globally and then allow them on a site to site basis for the security benefit. I haven't had any problems with it until I decided to try out some of the "Opera Widgets". They download, install and load, but then become unresponsive like an interactive site stripped of its JavaScript.

I looked on the FAQ http://widgets.opera.com/, They seem to be using Javascript and SVG which is obviously the problem. "Opera Widgets are made using standard web technologies, such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SVG, AJAX."

I tried allowing http://widgets.opera.com/ and even a site that one of the widgets was calling (http://secunia.com/), but no gain. Does anybody have any ideas?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Banned

Wouldn't this question be best answered on a Opera/Windows related forum?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Wouldn't this question be best answered on a Opera/Windows related forum?
I don't really think that there is much of a real "Community" around Windows, unless you count the actual people working for Microsoft. That isn't to say that a lot of people don't use it, or that people don't help each other with it. But I have yet to find something like daemonforums.org, ubuntuforums.org, or linuxquestions.org for Windows. I was hoping that because this forum seems to have sections for Windows and off-topic, that I could find help from the wonderful community around BSD for a problem not specifically related to BSD. I'm sure that somebody in daemonforums.org is using Opera, the problem isn't really specific to Windows. Of course I don't mean to offend, I can always just ask somewhere else.

Last edited by thejosephgrace; 2nd August 2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Stupid Firefox spell check doesn't catch grammar mistakes.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

You can ask anything here as far as I'm concerned, what BSDFan666 means is that other forums may give you more answers...

Anyway,
As you already mentioned, opera widgets make extensive use of JavaScript, basically, widgets are just a small webpage displayed in a separate window.
AFAIK I know there is no workaround, other than just enableing JavaScript.

[quote\I block scripts globally and then allow them on a site to site basis for the security benefit.[/quote]

IMHO the security benefit is minimal to non-existent.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Port Guard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
IMHO the security benefit is minimal to non-existent.
There probably isn't much of a benefit if your running an up-to-date system, but I'm sort of a belt and suspenders kind of guy about security. For instance, I also block cookies globally and allow those on a site to site basis to try to put up some kind of a barrier against technologies like Phorm's.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Spam Deminer

There is a javascript written by a Opera user that can block individual JS script (function like NoScript in FX). Basically you put the script in the JS dir, restart Opera and way you go.

Look around Opera forum, if you couldnt find it, shot me a msg and I will send it to you
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Googol2 View Post
There is a javascript written by a Opera user that can block individual JS script (function like NoScript in FX). Basically you put the script in the JS dir, restart Opera and way you go.

Look around Opera forum, if you couldnt find it, shot me a msg and I will send it to you
Thanks, that definitely sounds like it could solve all of my Opera problems.

Tags
browser, javascript, opera, widgets