DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2012
New User

Default Network Monitoring Software

Hey Guys

Using OpenBSD 5.1.

Wanting to know if there are any good network monitoring packages that I can use with OpenBSD

Pretty much my plan is.

Customer of mine is getting massive internet bills because someone is in the office, downloading things and what not.

I have heard of a package that can produce reports on which computer is doing the nasty on the network. Not necessarily computer names but just looking for something that can do usage logs
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nato85 View Post
Wanting to know if there are any good network monitoring packages that I can use with OpenBSD
Assuming you have familiarized yourself with Section 15 of the FAQ such that you have a baseline understanding of OpenBSD's package/ports system (the ports(7) manpage also has excellent information...(, most networking-related applications can be found at /usr/ports/net in the ports tree:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...s/net/#dirlist

Recognize that this is the entire ports tree, so you will be finding information on packages available for -release, -stable, and -current.

A third-party site (not affiliated with the OpenBSD project...) which harvests the information found in the CVS port tree into a form more easily searched is:

http://openports.se/

Recognize that this site also presents information for -current as well. The versions of applications discussed at that site may be more recent than those available for OpenBSD 5.1-release.

Lastly, since you mentioned monitoring in particular, nagios & munin are popular applications available.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2012
Shell Scout

You could collect netflow data on the firewall (see pflow(4)) and analyze that for offending IP's. Or for a long term solution perhaps look into restricting outbound traffic with authpf(8).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th July 2012
Port Guard

If they are using torrents, use PF/ALTQ to block/limit torrent bandwidth. Likewise if they're using it for FTP and the company doesn't use FTP as SOP, disable it.

Also of course, the ports