DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2012
Just Hatched

Default Writable CIFS share inside jail

I've recently set up a FreeBSD 9.0 RELEASE machine as a jailhost. One of the jails needs to write to a CIFS/SMB share on a FreeNAS 8.2 system. I can mount the share on the jailhost, but i can only write to the share as root. And i don't want the application writing to the share running as root, as the app has it's own account: "_user".

After I do
Code:
mount_smbfs -N //user@nas/datastore1 /usr/jails/jail1/mnt/datastore1
I've already set up a .nsmbrc file, and tried /etc/fstab:
Code:
//user@nas1/datastore1 /usr/jails/jail1/mnt/datastore1 smbfs   rw,noauto,-u=_user,-g=_user       0       0
After that, i rebooted the jailhost, but the share isn't mounted on boot, and when i mount it manually i still can't write to the share..

See the permissions below:

Code:
# ls -la
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    512 Dec 12 18:43 .
drwxr-xr-x  12 root  wheel    512 Nov 25 18:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  16384 Jan  1  1970 media
I've spent the last few days googling for this, but i can't find much useful..

Is it possible to mount a CIFS share in a jail, and have the jail write data to that share?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2013
New User

I think you should first figure out how to mount your share correctly inside your main host and be able to write to it using the user you want - then try to make it work from inside a jail, which should not be any different afaik.

When you mount manually from inside the main host, maybe try this way, i have no test system right now but it might help:

Code:
mount_smbfs //FREENAS/SHARENAME /mnt -o username=USERNAME,password='PASSWORD',domain=DOMAIN_IF_ANY,iocharset=utf8,ro
Can you now do a "cd /mnt" and write stuff there as USERNAME ?

Last edited by Overrider; 2nd April 2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: mispelled mount_smbfs
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2013
Just Hatched

I figured out how to mount it in the host: create a new user with the same (G)UID and username on the host, mount and assign the proper permissions. I can then write to the share. But there probably is a better way to do that.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2013
New User

Why not do it the same way in the jail? If it works in the Host, why not in the Jail, assuming that the jail contains the needed programs etc.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2013
Just Hatched

It does work inside the jail, but the problem is that i have to manually mount the shares every time i reboot the server. And since this is a virtual machine on my personal testbed, that happens quite often

ps. i thought this forum was dead..

Last edited by Eend; 3rd April 2013 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Clarification