DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Port Guard

Default 3-D CAPTCHA

http://spamfizzle.com/CAPTCHA.aspx

This, of course, is not the only way to do it. The following method should be highly effective!
http://random.irb.hr/signup.php

Why do all this? Well, according to SJVN, the standard CAPTCHA is now practically useless.
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;489635775
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Arp Constable

Looks effective, but most people I know wouldn't know a sin from a cos, outside of church lol.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 19th October 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: missed an e
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

This is the math question I was asked ... Seriously ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 87e5584ac298c80419932b38bcccc606.gif (1.3 KB, 101 views)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Port Guard

I suppose that the 3-D CAPTCHA is an interesting problem to a programmer. Seems to me, though, that "What is the Capitol of 'some country' " or "What are the second, middle and last letters of 'alkdfjalkjljkha' " would be as effective. Either way, it appears that we are moving towards CAPTCHAs that have to be translated into many languages.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Slack Daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold View Post
Seems to me, though, that "What is the Capitol of 'some country' "
Sounds unrealistic to me. I dont know every capital in the world, well you can say "google it!", but not all people know how to google (elderly for instance), last but not least, not hard to build a capital database for bot.

Quote:
"What are the second, middle and last letters of 'alkdfjalkjljkha' " would be as effective.
A simple algorithm would beat this easily.

BTW1, I HATE spam, really really HATE spam!

BTW2, Im wondering why this forum doesnt require email verification?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Administrator

IMHO ASCII Captcha is a better idea [ http://www.asciicaptcha.com ].

there is also other 3D method:
http://www.ocr-research.org.ua/index.php?action=teabag

... but in the end, the best method is the one that works.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Port Guard

One spam prevention measure, which I had implemented (after reading about it somewhere) is a bit of form trickery.

Basically, you have an array of several inputs for a given field. You randomly select one as the valid field, giving it a CSS class to make it visible. The rest get a CSS class to hide them. The form has a hidden input with information on which input is valid for a given field (indexed). This data is encrypted. When the form is submitted, the encrypted string is decrypted, and the inputs checked. If any of the invalid inputs have values, the submission is considered spam.

I like this method because it is unobtrusive. However, it be a bit of a PITA on the back end. Writing a good library for it helps.

There are some pitfalls, though. For instance, the CSS could be parsed. You can do some trickery with that though. Usually I have 5 - 10 different CSS classes for both the hidden and visible inputs and randomly assign one of the classes to each input. The CSS is defined in an external file. It would be possible to have multiple definitions for a given class, with the last one taking precedence.

Also, it wouldn't be viable for people running browsers without CSS (eg: console, or CSS disabled).

I figure that if the spam check fails (within a certain range, such as 1%-30% of the fields fail), then it could revert to a captcha style spam prevention measure.

Spam prevention is just like virus protection - you either have to be ahead of the game, or really good at playing catch-up.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
... but in the end, the best method is the one that works.
Well, I'd say four or five guys with shotguns and MP5 kicking in the spammers doors, and a 40 year jail sentence would work best... but the internet doesn't make that very practical.

What sucks, is when the CAPTCHA ends up keeping more visitors out then it does bots.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th October 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Well, I'd say four or five guys with shotguns and MP5 kicking in the spammers doors, and a 40 year jail sentence would work best... but the internet doesn't make that very practical.
I think this makes it official ... You have been playing waaay too much Swat4 and Raven Shield ...
Port Guard

ddekok> One spam prevention measure, which I had implemented (after reading about it somewhere) is a bit of form trickery...

URL, please.
Old 20th October 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by harold View Post
ddekok> One spam prevention measure, which I had implemented (after reading about it somewhere) is a bit of form trickery...

URL, please.
I was inspired by a site that showed up on Digg -- http://digg.com/programming/Preventi...ing_a_CAPTCHA/

The site it links to is unavailable, but the wayback machine got it
Old 21st October 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
I think this makes it official ... You have been playing waaay too much Swat4 and Raven Shield ...
I noticed that when I started instinctively checking peoples hands for guns & grenades at the grocery store ;-)