DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2009
Port Guard

Default scompat extract failed

I've installed FreeBSD v7.2 via internet mirror. All seemed well except during the "late night odyssey", I observed a message with wait stating that the scompat extract failed. This is what I know about the creature:
http://docsrv.sco.com/cgi-bin/man/man?scompat+1
Also, I cannot start FireFox:
(firefox-bin:47583): Gtk WARNING **: cannot open display:
Does this have anything to do with the extract failure of the scompat?

Otherwise, how to start FireFox? I've googled, and searched the forums . . .read some things about not running X systems as root, but then again, something about FireFox needing to run as root the first time so that some permissions, etc. can be established?

Thanks,
RW
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Also, I cannot start FireFox:
(firefox-bin:47583): Gtk WARNING **: cannot open display:
Does this have anything to do with the extract failure of the scompat?

Otherwise, how to start FireFox? I've googled, and searched the forums . . .read some things about not running X systems as root, but then again, something about FireFox needing to run as root the first time so that some permissions, etc. can be established?
You do not need to run firefox as root. Ever.
Just install firefox from ports and it will store everything in your home directory (~/.mozilla).

If you want to allow the root user to run applications use # xhost +localhost.
Even better would be to use xinit(1) to start X instead of startx(1) so you don't need to deal with the whole xauth/xhost stuff.

Quote:
I've installed FreeBSD v7.2 via internet mirror. All seemed well except during the "late night odyssey", I observed a message with wait stating that the scompat extract failed. This is what I know about the creature:
Can you post the full error message?
I'm not sure what scompat is, it's not part of FreeBSD base nor is it a port (deleted or otherwise).
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd June 2009
Port Guard

Regarding the failed scompat extract, I've posted just about what I know about it . . .only that it occurred during (I think) the make of FireFox.
Quote:
Can you post the full error message?
I'm not sure what scompat is, it's not part of FreeBSD base nor is it a port (deleted or otherwise).
My previous post includes a link to an SCO.com document that includes this description:
Quote:

COFF- or ELF-based applications developed for SCO UNIX System V/386 3.2 (or later releases) that use graphics may not work correctly on the system VGA/EGA/CGA console or Fiber Optic Workstations, which are STREAMS-based beginning with UNIX System V/386 Release 4.

The scompat command sets up the workstation environment so that these applications can function correctly. While the environment is in effect, access to the workstation as a STREAMS device will not work correctly unless the -r option is used with the argument 4 (see below). ~~~
. . .based on your observation and I too could not find any reference to it in the ports tree, perhaps it's a legacy dependency from a make file based on or obtained from Mozilla(?)

Regarding FireFox, I agree . . .I don't want much of anything running as root. More troubling is that I only find /root/.mozilla and there is absolutely nothing in the directory (other than . & ..)