DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th November 2008
Port Guard

Default Xorg & i810 graphics / loader.conf / kldstat

Hi, I'm somewhat of a FreeBSD noob, but not a *nix noob.

I'm having problems getting Xorg to work properly with my hardware. I'm running 7.0 on an old Compaq Deskpro EN 733PIII. It has i815 Intel graphics, which is supported by the i810 driver packaged with 7.0.

I've been reading copious amounts of documentation and experimenting to get this going. With both Gnome and KDE, I just get a messed up screen; I can see bits of each desktop environment and the mouse works, but they're unusable. I have my monitor settings perfect, including the arcane Modeline settings.

Following the FreeBSD X11 config guide (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/.../x-config.html), I have set agp_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf, but when I do a kldstat, the agp.ko module isn't listed. This agp.ko module is essential to getting the i810 driver to work. What gives? Why isn't agp.ko loaded, even though I've specified it in loader.conf???

- Ogre