DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 23rd August 2014
More noise than signal

1. I'm not going to be able to reproduce your environment -- my virtual machine lab uses QEMU, and while there's a setting called -global ide-drive.physical_block_size=4096 it's for mapping of physical media in 4k sectors, not for producing virtual 4K sectors.
  2. As noted, some people have had success with 4K sector drives and the read/only NTFS driver. You have not. It is only a supposition on my part, but I would hazard a guess that the umass(4) to sd(4) device driver interpolation may be part of the reason for this.
  3. Because all I can do is guess, and so far my guesses haven't helped, I recommend you report the problem and your discovery of the short block reads on the misc@ mailing list. While only about half of the developers are subscribed to misc@, there are thousands of users. There are those who may have similar hardware and who may be able to recreate your problem, and your report may reach those who support either the ntfs_3g package, the NTFS driver, or the umass and sd drivers.

Last edited by jggimi; 23rd August 2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: typo. forever typos.
Old 25th August 2014
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Because all I can do is guess, and so far my guesses haven't helped, I recommend you report the problem and your discovery of the short block reads on the misc@ mailing list. While only about half of the developers are subscribed to misc@, there are thousands of users. There are those who may have similar hardware and who may be able to recreate your problem, and your report may reach those who support either the ntfs_3g package, the NTFS driver, or the umass and sd drivers.
misc@ seems like a bit of a scary place!! I think I will lurk/ search around there for a while first.

Even just with some light googling, I found these two posts which may somehow be related. Or not..

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=137449423013371&w=2

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=134027998905971&w=2

One other thing I might try is simply to try to move this ntfs volume to a more 'even ' block than 63.

In either case, if it's something in such core layers as the sd- umass- uhub- scsibus- level and how that interacts with this particular external usb cabinet... well, then it's something I could never dream of fixing myself anyway.

Thank you for your help!

Tags
openbsd ntfs mount invalid argument