DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD 7.0 hard drive problems.

Hey all, i had a problem with mounting hard drives at boot or mounting them for installation back when freebsd 7.0 and 6.3 were released and no one seemed to have any idea what the problem was. im just curious now that the releases have been out for a few more months if anyone has seen this problem anywhere else.

what happens is if i boot a 7-stable 7.0-RELEASE or 6.3-RELEASE cd i go to the standard install and it tells me that it cannot find any hard disks. (i also had a problem where i couldnt use usb keyboards or the first button i pressed would stay pressed and i couldnt press anything but i fixed that with a usb to ps2 adapter) i tried using the fixit cd as well but when i tried to enter the fixit console it gave me issues about not being able to find any disks. 6.2-RELEASE installs perfectly fine on my system but when i do either a binary update or a source update (make buildworld make buildkernel make installkernel reboot make installworld) i go to reboot after installing the new kerenel and it tells me part way though the boot that it cannot mount the root partition. the computer im using is a Dell XPS 600 with a nvidia nforce4 motherboard. i have no problems with this system in any other OS nor did i have problems with it in freebsd 6.2-RELEASE. if anyone knows what is causing this problem please explain it to me. i would rather like to get back into a freebsd environment.