DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Port Guard

Default Greetings!

Hello everybody!

I have beautiful 4.6-current installation with Gnome, OpenOffice, Seamonkey etc.
Couple of times I've rebuilt kernel and world but after last ports update I've noticed Gnome2-2.28 in ports (I still have 2.24) and then my troubles have begun. I've seen this: daemonforums.org//showthread.php?t=4022
so: I got both sources and ports with cvsup from -current some time before 4.6 release and update them having default tag=. in supfiles.
I also have PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/
in ~/.profile and /root/.profile
In general I had lots of outdated packages and I managed to update them with pkg_add -ui but Gnome cannot be updated so easily. "Can't install, can't install..." I tried one by one without luck. I tried to update main packages first and found out that I cannot update glib2 and dbus for instance and everything else depend on them. I tried to compile glib2 from source - no luck, I tried to delete the package first and then build but it cannot be deleted because everything depend on it And I have very similar (if not identical) "error1/stop" output shown in the thread mentioned above.
So, how to deal with glib2, dbus and similar "monters" on OpenBSD? Is there a "portupgrade" or similar tool on OpenBSD that deals with dependencies?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I got both sources and ports with cvsup from -current some time before 4.6 release and update them having default tag=. in supfiles.
I also have PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/i386/
in ~/.profile and /root/.profile
You are not the first one to do this.

This is a standard procedure for FreeBSD but very wrong for OpenBSD

You cannot mix OBSD 'release/stable' packages with those from 'current'. Please read http://www.openbsd.dk/faq/faq15.html#NoFun
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Port Guard

Thank you. Did you mean that at first I've installed 4.6-current from a snapshot (install46.iso; 4.6-release was not ready) but the packages (with pkg_add -r ) from 4.5-release/stable ?
Should I reinstall all the packages?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th December 2009
Port Guard

Since I cannot edit my post yet here are a few additions:
uname -a gives OpenBSD host.domain 4.6 GENERIC#0 i386
I remember that previous build was #208
dmesg shows OpenBSD 4.6-current (GENERIC) #0: Sat Dec 5 21:43:55 EST 2009
I never rebuilt Xenocara though I have Xorg working on my system without xorg.conf.
So far I've been never having any problems. Everthing works 'from the box".
Hardware: Asus P4S333c (latest bios), P4 (i686) 2.4GHz, DDR333 2.5Gb, GeForce3 Ti200, Viewsonic VA912b (1280x1024).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th December 2009
Port Guard

I rebuild Xenocara and reinstalled all the packages. Everything works great so far
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th December 2009
Administrator

I have to apologize, I mis interpreted your post and got the impression you ran 4.6-release and updated your ports to current. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Nice to hear all is well now.

My way to run OBSD current is using binary snapshots and pre-compiled packages. I hardly ever have to compile ports.
When I want to install another snapshot. I either use another machine, or another disk in the same machine. That way I always can fall back, if something doesn't work out.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th December 2009
Port Guard

Yeah, but it was vice versa: I had old packages and couldn't update them without total reinstalling
I read in FAQ that using snapshots is recommended but 238MB install46.iso obviously contains no packages so they must be installed again. Yesterday I couldn't install inkscape from a package (not found) and it took me a couple of hours to build it. I also had to rebuild gstreamer otherwise I couldn't update a long chain of dependencies. That the problem with pre-built packages: they are built with those versions of dependencies available at the moment when a package is built and if some of them bump original package cannot be updated automatically (at least I don't know how).
I like how OBSD runs and feels so I'll continue to learn. As I understood so far it is quite possible to follow -current by trivial way: just update sources and packages. As to "Flag Date" it's an exciting challenge, why not to try and definitely learn a lot at once? However looks like this way is not popular. Why?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th December 2009
Administrator

For a long time my fastest machine was a 800Mhz P3, wife and daughter had the newest machine, poor dad the old junk.
So following current by recompiling was not a viable option. Thus my preference for using pre-compiled stuff.

Also about release time the OBSD porters urge you to test the binary packages. That's another reason.

Reason nr 3: I don't mind being a 'guinea pig' ; the binary install sets sometimes contain 'uncommited patches'. One time Theo mentioned that a particular snapshot contained IIRC 11 patches, not anywhere to be found in CVS . Same way like they test new medicines with a double blind test

Now you understand why I never have an issue with "Flag Day". Maybe others can give their reason.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th December 2009
Administrator

As another example see http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=126004335307524&w=2.

The name of the OP of that thread seems familiar somehow
Port Guard

It was a pleasure, thanks!
Salut, another dad! My daughter is a graphic designer, lives in Paris, uses Mac and has no idea how it works

If I understood the thread correctly OBSD sometimes grows by a kinda revolution or biblical "creating" so a regular user (and current compiler) cannot comprehend changes.
It makes sense though...