DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2016
Package Pilot

Default Following "stable"

With cvs one can follow stable by making release. This will make a stable release bsd.rd and base files for base system. I am reading the book absolute OpenBSD, and it seems possible to do it with some effort.

So I am thinking I will set up my own ftp server for this, to serve need files to my amd64 pc in my lan. It will then be as easy, as downloading a real release from official mirror, get bsd.rd and upgrade with files from local ftp server.

But this leads my to a question, if everybody can do it, why dont just the project host this stable security releases them self?
Why force every user to make distribution release himself from source, is it for introducing wider community to release process?
Or to encourage 3d party service like m:tier?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th August 2016
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Per the stable.html page:

Quote:
Maintaining the patch tree takes a lot of effort which could be better spent on making our next release better.
Perhaps if the OpenBSD team had fully sufficient hardware to build current snapshots and packages, and then they had additional hardware on top of that, they would build stable...but that is just a guess on my part.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psypro View Post
...if everybody can do it, why dont just the project host this stable security releases them self?
The project does not want to take on the commitment, which includes the time and hardware required to do the frequent builds, to provide this service to the world at large.

I agree with this decision as it is a distraction from the core goal of the developers -- which is to push the existing codebase to greater correctness with newer features. OpenBSD is a research project which targets developers. While the codebase is freely accessible by all, providing convenience to every possible user is ancillary at best.
Quote:
Why force every user to make distribution release himself from source, is it for introducing wider community to release process?
Use of the word "force" indicates a view that building limits users and the community. Again, the target audience is expected to possess the skillset capable of reading the manpages and act upon the information contained in them. When it comes to building OpenBSD, the release(8) manpage provides all necessary information. Providing anything beyond this puts more responsibility upon the project developers which are more interested in refining and developing code as opposed to providing services which would keep them away from code development.
Quote:
Or to encourage 3d party service like m:tier?
Yes. The OpenBSD project is small. They have had to prioritize what they can continually provide on a repeatable schedule, and many find value in what they do provide. Yes, in a perfect world they could do more, but this puts their more fundamental goal into jeopardy.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2016
More noise than signal

Making one's own -stable systems can often be easier than manually patching from published errata. It takes longer, of course, but the release(8) steps can be scripted. And -stable may include patches which are not published as errata.

In addition, ports which have corrections to address CVEs may receive updates to the -stable branch.

The Project does not currently have the resources to provide -stable systems and -stable packages. It has not provided these service for many years.

Users are expected to have the skills, to obtain the skills, or to acquire services to deploy -stable systems and -stable packages.