DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Aspiring Unix Greybeard

Default Netbsd wifi nic becomes inaccessible after some time

I have an old Thinkpad with a wpi wifi nic running NetBSD 7.0. The networking system behaves strangly:

I have several computers on my wifi network. After an hour or so, these other computers can't access the thinkpad, anymore (ping, ssh ...). Only after I ping one of these other computers from my thinkpad, the pinged computer can access the thinkpad, again.

Whenever I'm ssh'ed into the thinkpad, the connection stays open for several days. After I close the connection, I can still access the thinkpad for an hour or so, but then it becomes inaccessible, again. Etc ad infinitum.

I don't think that has anything to do with the hardware, but rather with the software (NetBSD):

One of the other computers can have a ssh connection open to the thinkpad while another computer can't ping the thinkpad. Only after the thinkpad is pinging the latter computer, it can access the thinkpad, again.

I would like to access NetBSD anytime.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
Spam Deminer

As you've provided very little information it's hard to say. The device could be powering down, i.e. power management features - pinging a host from the machine might be causing it to power up again. Incoming traffic might not.

I suggest:

1) Find out what chipset the device is based on
2) Have a look at dmesg output
3) Read the man page for the wpi(4) driver (known bugs/limitation section is always useful if nothing else).
4) Search the mailing lists/bug reports, etc for any similar problems with this driver and your hardware.
5) If you can find no other examples, consider reporting a bug
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2015
standard-bearer

Do you use encryption with wpa_supplicant? There are debugging options to increase debug messages output.

Tags
thinkpad, wpi