DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th February 2011
New User

Default OpenBSD, pf.conf and user IDs / names

Hi all,

I am a happy user of OpenBSD. Currently I have some problems I am trying to resolve.
In my pf.conf I want to use a rule with a user name. The pf.conf manual page shows two things related to this: When logging add '(user)' after the log and when filtering add user <user name or ID> to the rule.
To test all this I used nc to output some UDP traffic and I added the following rule to my pf.conf:
pass out log (user) quick on $ExtIF proto udp
with "tcpdump -eli pflog0" I can see the result of my nc UDP output traffic but no user name is displayed.
when modifying the rule into:
pass out log (user) quick on $ExtIF proto udp user <my user name>
The rule is not matched anymore. I also tried my user ID instead of name but that did not match either.
So:
Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong in relation to the rule in pf.conf and maybe the options for tcpdump when trying to display the user name.