DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2011
Port Guard

Default dhclient configuration ?

I try to set DHCP CLIENT in OPENBSD system.
I have box called ALIX6E1, in the box i have two INTERFACES (VR0, VR1).
I try to set DHclinet on VR0 INTERFACE.

I connect the box to my laptop.
More over the thinking is to allow sharing between the wireless card and the network card on my laptop.

Somehow I dont accept any address in VR0,No communication between the two cards in the laptop .( no route between them)

The message I get is this:
Code:
DHCPREQUEST on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPREQUEST on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 21
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on vr0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
No DHCPOFFERS received.
Trying recorded lease 192.168.137.186
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Last edited by phoenix; 25th August 2011 at 06:44 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th August 2011
Administrator

There are multiple issues you need to resolve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm2 View Post
More over the thinking is to allow sharing between the wireless card and the network card on my laptop.
This means that the laptop needs to transfer packets from the wireless interface to an Ethernet interface. This can either be done by routing or bridging. If the laptop is running OpenBSD &:
  • If you are wanting packets to be transferred through the laptop as a bridge, study Section 6.9 of the FAQ.
  • If you are wanting packets to be tranferred through routing, then study Section 6.2.7 of the FAQ.
Quote:
Somehow I dont accept any address in VR0,No communication between the two cards in the laptop .( no route between them)
Most likely, your ISP only provides a single IP address. You can have multiple hosts on your internal subnet use this single IP address, but you will need to configure the laptop to be a NAT server as well. OpenBSD can do this through pf(4). It is highly recommended that you study the PF User's Guide to learn how to configure your router to provide network address translation (NAT).

Likewise, you will need to enable routing as discussed before. The route(8) manpage can be your friend.

Lastly, in order to connect multiple hosts to this router/gateway, you will either need to configure all internal hosts with static IP addresses or configure a DHCP server. You can set this up on your router. Study Section 6.4 of the FAQ. The internal hosts will not be able to use your ISP's DHCP server if NAT is configured.

If your laptop is running an operating system other than OpenBSD, then this is the wrong forum to be asking.

Last edited by ocicat; 24th August 2011 at 10:57 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2011
Port Guard

Default dhclient configuretion .

I'm running WIN 7 OS on my laptop.

What I need is that the wireless card on my laptop will provide address to the interface vr0 in box trough the network card on my laptop.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlm2 View Post
What I need is that the wireless card on my laptop will provide address to the interface vr0 in box trough the network card on my laptop.
Assuming your ISP supplies only one IP address, you will still need to implement the functionality described in my previous response. It is up to you to figure how this will be done using a Microsoft operating system.

Going back to what (little) information was provided in your initial message, your OpenBSD Alix system was unable to get an IP address through DHCP. The first question you need to answer is what DHCP server is it contacting? DHCP servers only communicate on the same subnet unless proxying is enabled at the routers separating the intervening subnets.

Last edited by ocicat; 25th August 2011 at 07:21 AM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2011
Port Guard

Default dhcp client ?

I forgot to mention that the wireless card Supposed to get address from my home router .
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2011
More noise than signal

Here is a "picture" of what you have described in words, wlm2.
Code:
[Router with DHCP server]--{wireless}--[Laptop]--{wired to vr0}--[ALIX6E1 with DHCP client]
If this is correct, you have a DHCP server at one end of your network, and a DHCP client at the other end of the network. They are not communicating, because they are on different physical networks.

DHCP requires the client and server to be on the same physical network, or, to have the traffic proxied through a router.

Windows does not default to acting as a router, but it can be set to be one, through a Microsoft technology they call "Internet Connection Sharing", or ICS. That has limited capabilities, acting as a NAT router only and providing limited DHCP services to the subnet under its authority. It cannot proxy DHCP services from your ISP's router, nor, with the topology it can provide, should it, since the "wired" network would be a separate TCP/IP subnet that has its addresses translated by Windows.