DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 29th August 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
As you gain experience with the BSD's you will find they have their strengths and weaknesses.
Well i think that this happens with everything in life,not only with BSD's.You choose according to your needs.Sure it's a pity that thing work this way...but that's how it is.And i surely understand OpenBSD's point of view about Nvidia's policy.And that's why i want to support it if possible(i'm studying programming in my free time)...and if possible spread it and invite new users to it as well.

By the way i wonder if you know at least how to fix the issue with the subs since most user's payed attention to the video issue.If the are not embbed,they appear as "crazy-unknown-language".The ones embbed work like a charm.

Also...about the video issue..i think i just found the solution...i could use my openbsd laptop which does not have a nvidia card or even the Ubuntu laptop and connect it to the desktop monitor(with a vga cable as i did with my tv) and watch my movies.

Last edited by sepuku; 29th August 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 29th August 2011
Banned

I have no issues with subtitles, but you often need to create your own .mplayer/config file.

This is something people tend to work out on their own, so I won't post mine, but I believe I've already done so in the past... as have others.

Indeed, as others have said, nvidia no longer maintainers their older xf86-video-nv driver which supported user modesetting and 2D/Xv. For newer cards you're stuck with the unaccelerated vesa VBE interface, which is mostly insufficient for watching videos. The reverse engineered "nouveau" driver for Linux requires features that have not yet been ported to *BSD, mainly, KMS or kernel modesetting.

nvidia only releases a proprietary driver for Windows, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD, they do not release programming documentation.

People who run OpenBSD on desktops simply avoid nvidia hardware, anyone who was unfortunate to have such a card needs to accept the lack of support, use a different system, or install another OS.

Tags
mplayer, nvidia, slow playback, vlc