DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2011
Port Guard

Default Pulled Pork on openBSD

Question about ports. No not those kinda ports

I would like to install the Snort rule updater program, Pulled Pork on openBSD 4.9. I was reading the openBSD has a ports program and my question is, could I use ports to install Pulled Pork which is not included in the default package list?

I can't seem to be able to determine what applications are included in the ports list.

<<my apologies, I tried to include links but I don't have enough posts>>
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrogers3 View Post
I can't seem to be able to determine what applications are included in the ports list.
As a newcomer to OpenBSD, you will save yourself significant time & aggravation to take the time now to familiarize yourself with the entire contents of the official FAQ:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

In particular, packages & ports are covered in Section 15.

The ports collection consists of infrastructural makefiles which are used to build third-party applications. Unless there are specific reasons to compile applications, it is far simpler (& advocated by the project...) to use packages which are the results of compiling ports. In fact, there is no difference between the pre-compiled packages available on project mirror sites & the packages which can be compiled locally.
Quote:
...could I use ports to install Pulled Pork which is not included in the default package list?
No. Section 15 discusses ways in which the ports tree can be searched. There is also a third-party Website which encapsulates the most recent changes to the ports collection:

http://openports.se/

Be aware that this site focuses on recent changes made to the head of the CVS tree which constituents OpenBSD's -current flavor. Not all recent changes will be available to users of -release or -stable. If you are unfamiliar with OpenBSD's flavors, study Section 5.1 of the FAQ.

As for your questions about Pulled Pork, my suggestion would be to install the available package first to see if this application is already available. If not, contact the maintainer for snort to find out if there is any plans to port this add-on.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
As a newcomer to OpenBSD, you will save yourself significant time & aggravation to take the time now to familiarize yourself with the entire contents of the official FAQ:
Thanks for post Ocicat. I did read FAQ. I was trying to find a way to search the ports library before I went to the trouble of installing the ports tree.

From FAQ:Once you have the ports tree in place on your system, it becomes very easy to search for software. Just use make search key="searchkey", as shown in the following example.

But you provided a site I could search the ports library:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
http://openports.se/
Since "Pulled Pork" is not available in packages (which are awesome BTW) or in the ports library, I'll download binary and compile on my system.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th October 2011
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I do not want to sound harsh but your reading skills are rather poor. I would suggest that you try at least vaguely familiarize yourself with the Unix Make utility. Then read again OpenBSD FAQ about Ports system. Then when you think you understand something try to ask a question again.

My crystal ball is telling me that you want to install a peace of software which is not ported to OpenBSD. If the software is Posix compliant and written with portability in mind the answer is probably yes. How easy/difficult is to make a port for your favorite peace of software? For you probably very, very difficult if not impossible if you have no clue about Make utility.
Wow, I should have know when you started your sentence with "I do not want to sound harsh". Did you not read ocicat's port? He nailed it. Obviously, you didn't understand my question and you are trying to flame me.

BTW, it's "piece" not "peace". My reading skills are not so great but your writing skills are not fantastic either. Don't throw stones.

Peace.