DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default when and by what is .profile read?

Hello, I seem to have trouble that my .profile is not read when I log in using slim. I assume this since none of the paths in .profile are exported.
I know that ~/.xinitrc is read according to slim.conf, but that only runs startxfce4 at my computer. Should I add ~/.profile as another command line to be executed at login in slim.conf?
Also there are problems with certain of the arrow keys etc in the xterms, e.g I cannot scroll back to previous commands or use the tab for completion.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Local

~/.profile is executed when said user has a Bourne shell (sh or bash). I'm not sure if any other shells use it.

See sh(1) for more precise details.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Tcpdump Spy

The C shell (i.e. tcsh, the default FreeBSD shell) doesn't use it, it uses ~/.cshrc and ~/.login ... See ``FILES'' section of tcsh(1) and the ``Invocation'' section if sh(1) (Use / key to search).
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

That is strange since when I click on the terminal I assume that it starts sh since it has the $ prompt and export command works, so it is not csh. But it still does not read in the paths in ~/.profile or ~/.shrc, even when I explicitly run sh.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th September 2008
Local

% echo $SHELL

Also, read those manpages. It tells you exactly when (and under what conditions) ~/.profile is executed.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2008
Administrator

Start an xterminal with
Code:
$ xterm -ls &
From the xterm man page
Code:
       -ls     This  option  indicates  that  the  shell  that is
               started in the xterm window will be a login  shell
               (i.e.,  the  first  character of argv[0] will be a
               dash, indicating to the shell that it should  read
               the user's .login or .profile).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks J65nko, that's a long man file but as I skimmed it I saw the backspace/delete problem.

I was also wondering why there were settings of PATH in both .profile and .sh, since I guess that .sh executed for every shell not just login shells?

Is there a way to search in the manfiles when you have executed the man command? for me it works to use / to search for plain text but not things like .profile or -ls.

To set all the command line options (like color etc) for xterm can there be a .xterm file or do you have to execute a file with the xterm command followed by all the options?

Any how now that I checked what the menu actually ran exo-open --launch TerminalEmulator, so it was not xterm after all. so I gues I will change that menu button now.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th September 2008
Administrator

The man page viewer can be customized by setting the PAGER environment variable. I use the less program.
Code:
export PAGER=less
With less I have no problem searching the xterm man for -ls.

Looking for .sh is trickier, because the".' (period) has a special meaning in the regular expression mini-language used for searching. From man re_format:
Code:
     .       Matches any single character that is not a newline (`\n').
To tell the search function to use a literal "." when searching for .profile you have to escape the period with a backslash;
Code:
\.sh
. So your search now becomes: /\.sh.

I am not really a desktop person, and don't have a FBSD desktop available right now, but on my OpenBSD box has the following in the ~/.Xresources file:
Code:
j65nko@hercules[~]cat .Xresources               
XTerm*loginShell: true
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th September 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I appreciate it, your replies really set the standard .

I hope that these newbie questions do not create too much noise on this forum. Perhaps you could have a own section for these kind of questions, so that people who are "serious" are not annoyed.
I guess one could always search more on the web and go through books and man-files. But if the OS per se is not the center of ones universe, it is hard to put that much effort into resolving these problems on your own. Therefore until the data-base of posts on this forum is not so big that you can find most answers by searching the posts here, I hope that this is ok, Of course the person asking questions should not come and expect to get served with answers, but instead be grateful for any help that he/she gets.
But that is just my opinion, perhaps the BSD systems is not an alternative for regular lazy windows users.

Last edited by kasse; 11th September 2008 at 08:58 AM.