DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2015
More noise than signal

Default Happiness is a functional keyboard :)

2009/2010 era netbook keyboard:
  • Mechanical: 30% odds that pressing any key would be non-functional
  • Fit and finish:
    • Spacebar: right end worn smooth; left half still had some matte finish remaining.
    • PgDn N M <, >. A S and C keys had to be guessed, because the key labels were worn away. Several of these have the keycaps worn down to the point they were key cups, rather than caps.
    • Many other keys had partially worn labels. The E looked like F, the L looked like I. Tab looked like Tal.
    • PrtScr was missing its last few letters and the key was seated at an odd angle. A different odd angle every day.
  • Dirt: Of course.
  • Sanitation: ... I don't even want to think about it what was growing under those keys.
Replaced today with a mail order OEM keyboard.

#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2015
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
  • Spacebar: right end worn smooth; left half still had some matte finish remaining.
Are you a lefty? My Thinkpad spacebars are all worn on the left end because I use my left thumb to press the key. Using my right hand is too awkward.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2015
More noise than signal

I'm a touch typist. Both thumbs are stationed over the spacebar, yet I primarily use my right thumb. That may be a factor of the frequency of keys I happen to use on qwerty keyboards, or may just be predilection.

My favorite keyboard for typing was the keyboard used on both the IBM 2741 terminal and the IBM Selectric typewriter. I loved the thing. Because you could "buffer" key presses -- if a key was already depressed, a second (and third, fourth...) key would lock awaiting release of the active key to engage. I could type faster on one of those than anything I'd used before ... or since.

Oh, yeah... I'm right handed. But touch typing has been engrained for .... 44 or 45 years, now.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st January 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

I am still using my first keyboard, from about 1991, a KeyTronic, with AT-to-PS/2 adapter. Clean it every few years. Still looks pretty good, all labels fully legible, and it feels perfect. If it ever goes under I'm in big trouble, but for now, happiness on the keyboard front.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2015
Port Guard

I use a Dell Keyboard from 5+ years ago, I find it so much easier than the flat keys of modern keyboards/laptops. I evny your mechanical keyboard!
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2015
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayton View Post
I use a Dell Keyboard from 5+ years ago, I find it so much easier than the flat keys of modern keyboards/laptops.
Agreed, those flat keys drive me nuts, so hard to tell where your fingers are. But I guess they look better in the store.

Quote:
I evny your mechanical keyboard!
Actually, I have a fairly similar Dell keyboard too, so that would be next in line I guess.