Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Default Server virtualization

Hi folks,

Server virtualization.

What will be the best planning, strategy, etc. on server virtualization? Google found me tons of article sufficient for me reading a month. Can any folk shed me some light on;

- whether the host should not run any server or application on it except VMware/Xen/Virtualbox/qemn etc. there ?

- if there is only one fixed IP/public IP can it satisfy all servers running on the virtural box? OR multiple fixed IP/public IP are needed?

- Which servers can't be co-exist

- Network arrangement.

- Can I run Vyatta on the same box
http://www.vyatta.com/

Pointer would be appreciated. TIA

B.R.
satimis
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

If you run Xen, you will not be able to run VirtualBox or VMware at the same time and vice versa, you must decide which virtualization sollution to choose, you may also go with KVM if you CPU supports Intel-VT or AMD-V.

You can of course run vyatta and many other OSes at the same time.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
If you run Xen, you will not be able to run VirtualBox or VMware at the same time and vice versa, you must decide which virtualization sollution to choose,
Thanks for your advice.

Sorry for the confusion on my late posting. What I meant is running either Xen or VMware or VirturalBox etc. Most likely I'll test Xen. I have a box here running VMware. Any suggestion? Thanks

Quote:
you may also go with KVM if you CPU supports Intel-VT or AMD-V.
What will be the advantage running KVM on a virtual box?

Quote:
You can of course run vyatta and many other OSes at the same time.
Noted with thanks.

What I'm concerned is following points;

- Whether we should not run anything on the host other than VMware/Xen/VirturalBox, etc.

- Can I run a workstation as host? Because I don't install X packages on server. I do headless installation. If YES I can configure/install the servers on the workstation.

B.R.
satimis
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satimis View Post
Sorry for the confusion on my late posting. What I meant is running either Xen or VMware or VirturalBox etc. Most likely I'll test Xen. I have a box here running VMware. Any suggestion?
Download Solaris from solaris.com and boot with xVM.

Quote:
What will be the advantage running KVM on a virtual box?
KVM is like QEMU, you can start it without display with --nographic option, so it will be more like Xen, you will be able to ssh to the VM of course, a good sollution for vyatta for example, but KVM is limited to Linux host only, while VirtualBox is also avialable on Solaris.

Quote:
- Whether we should not run anything on the host other than VMware/Xen/VirturalBox, etc.
You can use Solaris containers, which will secure everything and you will have no performance drops at the same time since is OS level virtualization like FreeBSD Jails.

Quote:
- Can I run a workstation as host? Because I don't install X packages on server. I do headless installation. If YES I can configure/install the servers on the workstation.
Generally X11 is not a standart package for servrs, but Solaris will install it anyway as part of the default install, so you will have to disable it manually by SMF later.

You may do some "startup" administration at the box in x11 and then after all Xen/xVM setup is done disable X11.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Download Solaris from solaris.com and boot with xVM.
Hi vermaden,

Good suggestion. Never run Solaris before. In the past for Unix I selected either OpenBSD or FreeBSD. A side question what will be the difference btw Solaris and Open Solaris?

Quote:
Generally X11 is not a standart package for servrs, but Solaris will install it anyway as part of the default install, so you will have to disable it manually by SMF later.

You may do some "startup" administration at the box in x11 and then after all Xen/xVM setup is done disable X11.
It seem NOT a problem to me if I can run Solaris as workstation. Since it is host I won't build server on it only for remote config the server on the virtual box.

Others noted with thanks

B.R.
satimis
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Good suggestion. Never run Solaris before. In the past for Unix I selected either OpenBSD or FreeBSD. A side question what will be the difference btw Solaris and Open Solaris?
BSDs are great systems but they have very little to offer if it comes to virtualization sollutions (Jails in FreeBSD + QEMU only currently).

Solaris is based on OpenSolaris + some binary addons that are not avialable in source. Solaris is avialable only in binary form while OpenSolaris comes with full sources.

Every two weeks there is new build (annunced on opensolaris.org/os JIVE forums) of OpenSolaris SXCE (Solaris Express Community Edition), currently build 90, about every quater Sun creates SXDE (Solaris Express Developer Edition) which is then tweaked/fixed to be a Solaris 10 $MONTH / $YEAR update.

For Solaris resources check docs.sun.com lots of good docs there, especially for virtualization, a near 40 chapter book about virtualization for example

#7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
BSDs are great systems but they have very little to offer if it comes to virtualization sollutions (Jails in FreeBSD + QEMU only currently).

Solaris is based on OpenSolaris + some binary addons that are not avialable in source. Solaris is avialable only in binary form while OpenSolaris comes with full sources.

Every two weeks there is new build (annunced on opensolaris.org/os JIVE forums) of OpenSolaris SXCE (Solaris Express Community Edition), currently build 90, about every quater Sun creates SXDE (Solaris Express Developer Edition) which is then tweaked/fixed to be a Solaris 10 $MONTH / $YEAR update.

For Solaris resources check docs.sun.com lots of good docs there, especially for virtualization, a near 40 chapter book about virtualization for example
Just browsing;

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp#download

and the licence of Solaris 10. It need Entilement document to use it, not so free as OpenSolaris.

It seems no BT download available. Is 64bit version available? Where to download it? Thanks

B.R.
satimis
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
It seems no BT download available.
Have you checked torrents?

check youtorrent.com

also but you can use wget for that:
http://wikis.sun.com/pages/viewpage....ageId=28448383

Quote:
Is 64bit version available?
Solaris detects if you host machine is 64bit or 32bit and loads 32bit or 64bit kernel automatically, but you may force using 32bit kernel on 64bit if you would want to.

Quote:
Where to download it?
From the link you gave me, you have to register first.

#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Have you checked torrents?

check youtorrent.com
I'm running rtorrent.

On;
https://rtorrent.com

--> search --> solaris 10 / sun solaris 10 / solaris 10 download

can't find *iso.torrent. Usually *iso.torrent can be found on the download site. But I can't find it on Sun download site.

Quote:
also but you can use wget for that:
http://wikis.sun.com/pages/viewpage....ageId=28448383
Noted with thanks.

Quote:
Solaris detects if you host machine is 64bit or 32bit and loads 32bit or 64bit kernel automatically, but you may force using 32bit kernel on 64bit if you would want to.
It is possible that user may download the image on another PC. If I need 64bit version and the PC to download the ISO image is running 32bit OS then what can I do? Thanks

Quote:
From the link you gave me, you have to register first.
Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Old 19th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
I'm running rtorrent.

On;
https://rtorrent.com

--> search --> solaris 10 / sun solaris 10 / solaris 10 download

can't find *iso.torrent. Usually *iso.torrent can be found on the download site. But I can't find it on Sun download site.
youtorrent is not a torrent client, it is a search engine.

Quote:
It is possible that user may download the image on another PC. If I need 64bit version and the PC to download the ISO image is running 32bit OS then what can I do?
It is just a regular ISO file you know ...

Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

I've been down this road a few times -- Ive tested various soltuions Xen/Vmware/KVM/Qemu/VirtualBox/Viz/ -- a few others...

Anyway the solution I found that I liked best was a NetBSD/Xen setup. Dom0 on Netbsd (well supported) and then made all the DomU's -- You might be wondering why I choose NetBSD. Well first, I didnt want to use linux, granted it works well I just perfer BSD style scripts. Also with NetBSD i was able to use PF natively, which is always nice. I was able to keep the features of a slim small footprinted BSD box and use Xen to its fullest potential. Many might argue and perfer a Linux setup - while this is perfectly fine and works well; I believe the way BSDs work is a supireror design.

Also the scalable performance with NetBSD according to benchmarks Ive performed my self, and others Ive seen seems to do a little better then the Linux kernel. Granted this is on the hardware I was using, results may vary.

Just my 2cents
Old 19th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Qemu is a hardware emularor, Xen, VMWare, KVM are virtualizers.

If you want virtualization for learning purposes, I would say, test them all.
If you need industrial/commercial grade virtualization, this means reliable hardware and reliable software support, see what the big boys have to offer.

Server virtualization is something you would not run on your kid's super quad core play system.

I've seen server offers at Sun, at prices far below "PC Compatible" best offers.
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Qemu is a hardware emularor, Xen, VMWare, KVM are virtualizers.
QEMU is BOTH emulator and virtualizer, without kqemu kernel module it is an emulator, with kqemu it is virtualizer. QEMU also shares code with many other virtualization projects like VirtualBox, Xen, KVM ...

Old 19th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
QEMU also shares code with many other virtualization projects ...
Many other virtualization projects use the qemu code
Not always contributing upstream.

All in all, start with qemu as the learning process will be used for almost virtualizer.
Port Guard

Quote:
youtorrent is not a torrent client, it is a search engine.
Notthing found. Most links are music and vedio

satimis
Old 19th June 2008
Port Guard

Hi folks,

What I need is a reliable OS, light weight, running as host with GUI browser and filer running for file management. All servers installed on the Virtual machine will be headless. Installation/configuration will be done via the host. I need a GUI browser for Internet browsing for help and techical doc during config. I need a filer managing the files download.

What will be a good combination qemu and *.OS? Thanks

B.R.
satimis
Old 19th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Slackware (or zenwalk)
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Slackware (or zenwalk)
Hi lvlamb,

Thanks for your advice.

I ran Slackware previously. IIRC 32bit Slackware and 64 bit Slackware are 2 projects?

I never use zenwalk before, interesting. I'll test it. Standard Edition or Live Edition for my use? TIA

Any suggestion on selecting a Virtual server to match zenwalk?

B.R.
satimis
Old 19th June 2008
Spam Deminer

On qemu, emu;ating a Klamath II, you should install the i386-486 kernels.
When installing, install lilo (or grub), and enter clock=pit as options to pass to kernel (see qemu doc). Helps a lot.

Zenwalk: any would do, just install the minimum.
Upgrade and install first via netpkg. Zenwalk core has all the toolchain but does not insrall X by default. => betpkg xorg
Zenwalk is almost compatible with Slakware.
Hence, pure Slackware night be a better choice.

Last edited by lvlamb; 20th June 2008 at 02:13 AM.
Old 19th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Slack is 32 bit. There's a few 64 bit versions, I think one is considered the quasi-official one but I don't remember which.

As for which virtualization, on Linux, I have a page with my VERY subjective opinion....

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/vmcomp.html