DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th September 2010
New User

Default Installing OpenBSD on Thinkpad 600e

Hello
I'm new to the forums but not completely new to BSD. Recently I decided to reuse an old laptop that I have had for a while and eventually landed on installing OpenBSD as it had the most supported hardware in the generic kernel.
I still have two main problems and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. First my audio does not work with OpenBSD. In the dmesg I find a load of lines where the ac97 is querying the hardware but can't find the audio. I know from elsewhere that is should be somewhere around I/O 0x530 and Irq 11 but for some reason OpenBSD can't find it.
Next my apm doesn't quite work. APM can be turned on to run auto/cool etc., and will even put my laptop in suspend with apm -suspend or zzz. The problem is trying to wake it up, once its in suspend it will never come back. Even when I use the laptop keyboard function keys to wake it up it will not come back. I eventually have to turn off the laptop power switch (or drop the battery) and turn it back on to come back.

Any help is appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: txt bootlog.txt (6.6 KB, 80 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th September 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 View Post
Next my apm doesn't quite work. APM can be turned on to run auto/cool etc., and will even put my laptop in suspend with apm -suspend or zzz. The problem is trying to wake it up, once its in suspend it will never come back. Even when I use the laptop keyboard function keys to wake it up it will not come back. I eventually have to turn off the laptop power switch (or drop the battery) and turn it back on to come back.
Suspend/resume had a lot of work put into it in the last few months, and is the major focus for the upcoming OpenBSD 4.8 release. OpenBSD 4.8 is coming out in October or November, and will probably do a better job. If you don’t want to wait for release, you could try a snapshot out now and see if that improves things.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2010
Banned

I remember reading for early ACPI machines, it's best to keep it disabled, but it couldn't hurt to test using acpi instead of apm+pcibios on this machine.

Also, trying a snapshot wouldn't hurt.. but these snapshots are NOT what's going to be the 4.8 release in November, this is the development code for what will be 4.9.

There have been some commits for clcs(4) (..sys/dev/pci/cs4280.c) but they appear to be mostly mechanical, might as well try it anyway.

As for the I/O and IRQ information you provided, that's mostly irrelevant for PCI devices.. that information is gathered automatically from either PCI routing tables or ACPI routing tables (..pcibios(4)/acpiprt(4)).

Last edited by BSDfan666; 29th September 2010 at 01:01 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2010
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Hello
I'm new to the forums but not completely new to BSD. Recently I decided to reuse an old laptop that I have had for a while and eventually landed on installing OpenBSD as it had the most supported hardware in the generic kernel.
I still have two main problems and I hope someone can point me in the right direction. First my audio does not work with OpenBSD. In the dmesg I find a load of lines where the ac97 is querying the hardware but can't find the audio. I know from elsewhere that is should be somewhere around I/O 0x530 and Irq 11 but for some reason OpenBSD can't find it.
Thinkpad 600e should have much better audio than the stupid AC97. I have had at least four ThinkPads so far the oldest being 300E and OpenBSD audio works perfectly on all of them without any additional configuration. You might want to see above post for additional help.

Quote:

Any help is appreciated
Forget about it. ThinkPads are different story when it comes to recent work on ACPI and I can tell you that suspend does NOT work on them (at least on two old once that I still have).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2010
More noise than signal

To be clear: on machines which have -both- APM and ACPI hardware, the kernel decides based on empirical evidence which to deploy. It will only be one or the other. 4.7 chose APM on your hardware, disabling ACPI. By disabling APM in the kernel, you can force the kernel to use ACPI, and see if that makes any behavioral differences for you.

To disable APM:

Step 1. At the boot> prompt, issue "-c" to cause the kernel to enter the interactive User Kernel Configurator (UKC) program before it does any hardware probing.

Step 2. At the UKC> prompt, issue "disable apm" then "quit"

For more information, see boot(8), boot_config(8), and then, if you wish to make this change permanent, if it works for you, config(8).
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2010
New User

I do know that ACPI does not work on this laptop. Its suppose to be compliant but its more APM friendly
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2010
New User

I tried the ACPI setting anyway, kernel panic. I had to go back and disable it
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2010
New User

Thanks for the information