DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

Default bsd eating RAM!?!?

NOTE: the stuff on my desktop isnt there to show off. so ignore my convo there. its to show you what im running basically.. with proof that its the only thing runny. firefox is there too, its just hidde.

http://i30.tinypic.com/291ccxd.png

but yea... youll notice my RAM is being eaten.. and im only processing a few things

Last edited by seadog109; 19th May 2008 at 04:03 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Package Pilot

How long have you been a user of FreeBSD? Did you used to use Linux? I'm not being mean or an ass or anything, but FreeBSD handles memory management a bit different, that's the only reason why I ask. FreeBSD tends to keep as much loaded into main memory as possible, and gets rid of it when it needs more memory (either via swap, or just plain getting rid of it if no longer needed). So, I really wouldn't concern myself so much.

Of course, anyone is free to come along and prove me wrong.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

"Free" RAM is wasted RAM. FreeBSD caches everything that gets read to or written from harddrives in RAM, in case the data needs to be read again. The VM system in FreeBSD also tries not to swap things out to disk unless absolutely necessary (compared to Linux where it swaps things out quite often). If an app needs more RAM, memory in the cache is freed for use by the app.

IOW, unless your system is using a lot of swap, everything is running correctly.

Note: Please tone down the obscenities. They do not make you look smart or professional, and make people not want to read your messages. You'll get a lot more (and faster, and better) responses without them.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Port Guard

ive been a linux user for quite some time.. ive used multiple distros such a debian, ubuntu, redhat, and fedora... and backtrack. but backtrack was a short experience. Ive also never added any monitoring applets to those operating systems till now, when i decided to test out BSD. so it caught me off guard... but i guess thats part of the server side package of BSD. thanks for the conformation guys.. i now know nothin is wrong... not that anything should be... its bsd =D
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Coincidentally, yesterday I explained the memory management under *nix to a Windoze techie guy , and I did say "Free RAM is wasted RAM" too
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Actually, it's in the FreeBSD FAQ. (I will freely grant that the FAQ is long and not that easy to navigate.)
Maybe we ought to put up a little FAQ for those coming from Linux.
That's one question.
The fact that md5sum is called md5 in FreeBSD.
For those coming from Ubuntu, a brief explanation of how FreeBSD handles sudo. (For those coming from Fedora, mention of su and wheel wouldn't hurt either.)
ifconfig syntax is a wee bit different.
Just a few ideas. I cover a bit of it in an old page of mine, but that page is dated.