DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Port Guard

Default A Few Questions, Opera, CS, Speed, Jail.

Im new user, so Hi everyone.

I need a few answers. I wanna install OpenBSD for counter strike servers. I will give shells account for control of CS server, I wont use panel (www+php), so need high security thats why i choose openbsd. Someone can tall me is it make any sense use obsd for servers cs i mean speed this OS, Will not it to slow for servers, everone knows thats hdd is cryptography thats why obsd is slower than freebsd or netbsd i think so. Is it good choice ? I need high secury os.

I installed oper on OpenBSD 4.4, works fine, when i installed openbsd 4.5 opera go to down it doesn't want to start, my system starting slowly and i have to use hand reboot becouse i can do nothing with this. I need flash ! What can i do with this problem.

I found sysjail for openbsd http://richizo.wordpress.com/2008/12...sd-in-5-steps/
is that good choice ? someone use it ? does it work fine as in freebsd ?

Thanks. Sorry for my lanugage im trying be better. Bye.

Last edited by bryn1u; 11th May 2009 at 06:32 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn1u View Post
I need flash !
Then do not use OpenBSD.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Banned

Quote:
I need a few answers. I wanna install OpenBSD for counter strike servers. I will give shells account for control of CS server, I wont use panel (www+php), so need high security thats why i choose openbsd. Someone can tall me is it make any sense use obsd for servers cs i mean speed this OS, Will not it to slow for servers, everone knows thats hdd is cryptography thats why obsd is slower than freebsd or netbsd i think so. Is it good choice ? I need high secury os.
Let my try providing you with a few answers,
  • If you plan on offering SSH access to this system, you'll need to be at least partially competent as a system administrator.
  • Software doesn't instantly become vulnerability-free when you run OpenBSD, some exploit mitigation is available(propolice stack protector, malloc randomization, initial PIE support in 4.5).. but these alone won't save you.
  • OpenBSD does not encrypt file systems by default, any perceived slowness is simply that.. your perception, I personally find it quite responsive.
Quote:
I installed oper on OpenBSD 4.4, works fine, when i installed openbsd 4.5 opera go to down it doesn't want to start, my system starting slowly and i have to use hand reboot becouse i can do nothing with this.

I need flash ! What can i do with this problem..
Didn't you just say this was going to be a server?

I advise you to use a different OS.

Hope that helps.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Im new user, so Hi everyone.

I need a few answers. I wanna install OpenBSD for counter strike servers.
I'm not aware of a native port of the Counter Strike server for OpenBSD, though Googling has shown people attempting to use it under Linux emulation, with varying degrees of success.

Did you plan to run a Linux binary under OpenBSD/i386 emulation, or did you plan to port the Linux version to OpenBSD? There are significant considerations for either method.

In brief:
Linux emulation emulates calls to the kernel (syscalls), only, and it is a relatively older Linux kernel being emulated. Assuming the older kernel emulation can even be used, you will need to acquire all userland libraries necessary from Linux applications. Reading both FAQ 9.4 and the compat_linux(8) man page is mandatory.

Porting a Linux application requires knowledge of both Linux and BSD internals. The porting checklists and porting guides that are adjunct to FAQ 15 are mandatory reading, as is FAQ 15 in its entirety.
Quote:
...everone knows thats hdd is cryptography thats why obsd is slower than freebsd or netbsd i think so.
You do not understand OpenBSD's value. While cryptographic integration is a strength, this has nothing to do with OS speed, and would have nothing to do with an application that does not use any cryptographic features. Please read www.openbsd.org/goals.html for details.
Quote:
Is it good choice ? I need high secury os.
Security in OpenBSD comes primarily from code correctness, audit, and some technological features, per www.openbsd.org/security.html -- None of these are necessarily applicable to your needs as described. Based on your lack-of-knowledge about OpenBSD, and the chasm you need to cross in order to either run in emulation or to port Counter Strike, I would think not.
Quote:
I need flash
Flash 7 is availalble via the gnash package, or, for OpenBSD/i386, with the Opera-flashplugin. AFAIK, there are no Flash 8/9 tools available for OpenBSD. If you need a modern Flash client, you need a different OS.
Quote:
I found sysjail for openbsd http://richizo.wordpress.com/2008/12...sd-in-5-steps/
is that good choice ?
No.

The OpenBSD Project frowns on "how to" web pages found in the wild. That is because they are often poorly written, out of date, make incorrect assumptions, and may do more damage than good. This is an excellent example of a "How to" that falls into this category -- go to http://sysjail.bsd.lv/ and read the paragraph at the top that starts with "IMPORTANT:" Why? Because if you want high security, you do not want to use a tool that describes itself as "vulnerable to exploit." Systrace(1), used by sysjail, is a terrific facility, but it is not intended to be used to create "jails" for untrusted shell users. Untrusted applications and diagnostics are its intended areas of use. There are other ways to restrict shell users, depending on specific requirements.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th May 2009 at 09:42 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Port Guard

Thanks for this opinions. I conclusion i would like to say that : i want to use OpenBSD as a desktop and as a server (not the same hardware). I was administrator's server of Counter Strike and maked many servers, wrote many scripts i know CS servers and others games very well. I used last time compat_linux with CS and worked very good. Only i want to know is that make any sense use high secured openbsd with shits linux's lib... ? U say about untrusted user. Yes i have to use jail becouse will not know many people so i cant trust them (mean secury).

Thanks again.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I used last time compat_linux with CS and worked very good.
Be aware that Linux emulation is not perfect as the following thread from misc@ today attests:

http://marc.info/?t=124202796800001&r=1&w=2
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2009
Port Guard

Using linux_compat is my one way "ticket". Hldsupdatetools.bin will not working if i dont install linux_compat. I have to do that.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2009
More noise than signal

Just be aware that not everything works as in Linux, exactly .... as Ocicat has pointed out. Its an emulation. OpenBSD is not Linux.

For untrusted users, you might find the ChrootDirectory feature of OpenSSH meets your need for limiting untrusted users -- but that depends on what you need those users to be able to do.

Read this article from the OpenBSD Journal, paying close attention to limitations, caveats, disclaimers, and problems:

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=artic...20080220110039
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2009
Banned

"Counter-Strike: Source" is not open source, nor is the dedicated Linux server software.. this leaves only the Linux compatibility layer, you will not be protected by any of the attack mitigation techniques I mentioned above.

The title of this game may have mislead some people responding to your post, it certainly confused me.

It would most likely be in your best interest to run this Linux executable on Linux, the compatibility layer is far from complete.. it's more likely that it will cause more problems then it will fix.

Good luck, but unfortunately the news isn't likely what you were expecting.
Old 12th May 2009
More noise than signal

Ah! When Googling I did see Counter Strike: Source and made the assumption that this was source code.
Old 12th May 2009
Arp Constable

The source is part because of the 'Source' engine being used, have you never looked at game engines before? :-P

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 12th May 2009
Banned

I don't play "videa" games.