DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Adding a separate /home

Hello,

I just built a new computer and it has two hard drives in it. I was originally going to put them into RAID1, but since the onboard controller turned out to basically be a software controller and not a true hardware one, it was too much of a headache to configure right now. What I now want to do is use the second disk (partially) as a /home that I can maintain during upgrades, etc. I have one setup like this for Slackware already, but I'm trying to get this accomplished in NetBSD. Here is the setup:

disk 1:

sda1 - Slackware
sda2 - Linux swap
sda3 - NetBSD
sda4 - (probably) NetBSD-testing

disk 2:

sdb1 - Slackware /home
sdb2 - NetBSD /home

It is the sdb2 that I need to get configured. I need to format it (I assume that will be done using fdisk), and then configure NetBSD on sda3 to mount it as /home (edit fstab?).

I have an idea of how to accomplish this, but not entirely (especially the fine details - still learning BSD).

What I figure is format it with fdisk (not certain of the correct format and sequence of the switches) and then edit fstab to have it mount.

/dev/wd1b /home ffs rw 1 2

Is that the correct fstab entry?
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)