DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2011
Arp Constable

Default New KDE4.7 source packaging

I believe that the KDE changes described here will have significant implications
for BSD users. Essentially, Slackware build scripts share similarities with the ports system although they lack dependency checking and automagic source code retrieval.

I recall the OpenBSD developers initially shelved KDE4 development as qt4 was having teething problems but I think that qt4 has stabilized This also can not be good news for PC-BSD.

I wonder if the BSD's would consider collaborating to develop their own desktop environment, possibly forking something like xfce 4.6-4.8? Then the only major hurdle would be video drivers for currently manufactured motherboards and video cards.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2011
Banned

I have nothing to say related to changes to in KDE packaging, but as for BSD projects collaborating on a DE that has a snows chance in hell.

The BSD projects ship an implementation of X, since the beginning X has never defined how a user interface should look.. there is no default toolkit, no window decorations, and no UI widgets.

Once you install the operating system you can customize your environment however you want, perhaps some may choose a desktop environment.. but ultimately I believe that isn't what the large majority of BSD users want.

As for your comment about drivers, OpenBSD/FreeBSD/NetBSD include the many portable DDX drivers shipped by the Xorg project.. including support for Intel, ATI and some basic support for early nVidia chipsets, additional drivers are also available for less common devices along with a 'vesa' driver to fall back on.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2011
The World is Yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
I believe that the KDE changes described here will have significant implications
for BSD users. Essentially, Slackware build scripts share similarities with the ports system although they lack dependency checking and automagic source code retrieval.
I don't think breaking up the tarballs is as big of a problem for FreeBSD as it is made out to be. Breaking down the tarballs means now you only have to download the components you want. This is what KDEmod for Arch Linux did for many years, allowing fine control over what KDE components you used (Chakra project is now focused on creating a newbie-friendly OS though, and KDEmod is little different from pure KDE anymore).

udev/upower requirements OTOH are something to contend with. IMO, it's time for PC-BSD to step up to the plate and provide the solution...it's their back up against the wall. They're certainly big enough to do it.