DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Booting with external USB drive plugged in?

I swear I've looked around our good friend the Internet for an answer to this, but haven't found it.

I've got an external USB drive plugged into my FreeBSD box. Once a week a script runs that backs up to it with rsync.

This is all well and good, but on very rare occasion I might need to reboot that box remotely (I ssh into it from work, for example). And when you reboot it with the usb drive plugged in, it boots to a mountroot prompt and wants me to specify, well, where to mount root!

I understand this behavior to some extent, but can I tell the OS to ALWAYS default to a specific mount point for root, so I can reboot this thing with the usb drive plugged in and it will just load up normally?