DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2011
Shell Scout

Default sshd delayed response on FBSD 8.1

I run the openssh daemon on my FBSD 8.1-release system, and ever since I got this one going I've noticed a very annoying delay in the time it takes sshd to respond to a login request.

For example, if I am logging in to my home system from work, I run
Code:
ssh mylogin@mydomain.com
to log in, and it may take up to 45 seconds or more before I get a prompt for a password. Response times are more than adequate once I am logged in, but the delay is rather irritating. The delay becomes even more aggravating when I am using scp to copy files around and have to wait it out for each separate transfer job.

I previously had a 6.2-release system running at my home, with the same networking hardware between it and the outside world, without this delay. Upload and download speeds are where I would expect for the connection I pay for at home. The delay is pretty constant with regards to both the time of day and the geographical distance between me and home when I am trying to log in.

Any ideas on how to reduce the delay? The system is not going to sleep; if I am already logged in from my workstation at work with something running, and then I log in again from the same workstation in another window, I get the same delay. I haven't seen anything in the sshd configuration file that seems to refer to this.