DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
New User

Default Citation / reference managers in OpenBSD?

Dear OpenBSD users,

I've just acquired a Thinkpad x200 with the aim of transitioning into a full-time OpenBSD user. The 5.5 release with the Xfce desktop works flawlessly and I am very happy with this system.

Nearly all of my software needs have been quite satisfactorily met using the available packages. However, one minor niggle remains. I cannot seem to find a suitable reference/citation manager for academic work.

I am very fond of Zotero, but Firefox on OpenBSD seems to have issues with the Zotero plugin. The browser will not relaunch after it has been installed. Thus I am unable to use either Firefox or Zotero until the Zotero plugin is removed. I cannot either compile FireFox from ports due to space limitations on the current drive. Just for kicks I tried Zotero in a fresh install of FreeBSD and it does not have this issue.

I am aware that the problem seems to be more widespread: forums.zotero.org/discussion/32183?page=1#Item_12

None of the options listed on the Zotero forum worked for me. I even tried an online hack to get the Zotero plugin working in Seamonkey without success.

Jabref, the other alternative, is not available in the OpenBSD repository or in ports.

Ideally I would like a program that works well with LibreOffice. I have no qualms about learning something completely new until the Zotero issue is fixed. I am willing to wait patiently for a fix but in the meantime I need something to use. I would even be willing to explore a proprietary option as a last resort.

Any tips or suggestions would be very appreciated! I am willing to put in the time and effort to get this working so any suggestions will be taken very seriously.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipc View Post
I cannot seem to find a suitable reference/citation manager for academic work.
Unfortunately, this community is small, & the number of regulars who answer (most) questions can be counted on one hand. Most here, probably find that the bookmarks feature supplied by most browsers sufficient.

Nevertheless, I have two suggestions.
  • While someone may join in on this thread offering a reasonable alternative, my first thought would be to post to a larger audience which would be the official misc@ or ports@ mailing lists.
    • ports@ is most likely the most appropriate list, but many incorrectly post questions about applications on misc@.
    • Posting to misc@ will reach a larger audience.
    Information on subscribing to the official OpenBSD mailing lists can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html
  • Secondly, OpenBSD 5.5 at this time, is nearly 7-8 months past its development phase. Firefox 31.0 will be available in the upcoming 5.6 release which is officially to be made available 1 November 2014. Development for OpenBSD 5.6 is winding down now, & snapshots of the development branch will currently be very close to what will be available in November. My second sugggestion is to download a current snapshot, & install Firefox 31 through packages (verified for the amd64 platform). You might find that these plugins work there, but I have no knowledge whether this is a true. It may be worth the time for you to investigate.

If you are unfamiliar with the different flavors of OpenBSD's development, please read Section 5.1 of the official FAQ.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Ugh. That's no good. I too am going to need Zotero abilities in the near future.
Is it absolutely necessary to use Firefox here? I just tried their Chrome standalone thing and Chrome reboots just fine with it installed.

ocicat: I just confirmed it on -current here with Fx31.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
New User

Default Zotero

[*] While someone may join in on this thread offering a reasonable alternative, my first thought would be to post to a larger audience which would be the official misc@ or ports@ mailing lists.

Thank you for this bit of advice! I am in the process of posting there. Hopefully a solution is somewhere in the pipeline. This may actually be the issue that dictates whether I will be able to use OBSD or not. I'm not interested in dual booting into another OS just for Zotero/reference manager. Fingers crossed.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
New User

Default Zotero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibara View Post
Ugh. That's no good. I too am going to need Zotero abilities in the near future.
Is it absolutely necessary to use Firefox here? I just tried their Chrome standalone thing and Chrome reboots just fine with it installed.

ocicat: I just confirmed it on -current here with Fx31.
ibara: Thanks for the tip. While the Zotero standalone plugin does work with Chrome/Chromium, the standalone program that the plugin needs to work does not (is Linux only) so this doesn't seem like an alternative either.

So the issue is the same in ~5.6? Bummer.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th August 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
the standalone program that the plugin needs to work does not (is Linux only) so this doesn't seem like an alternative either.
Can that be ported?

Quote:
So the issue is the same in ~5.6? Bummer.
It will be, yes. Unless a future Zotero update fixes it and is compatible with Fx31 (which it will almost certainly be, since Fx31 is an ESR brance).
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Just to make a follow-up to this:
I am using the Chrome Zotero plug-in. It requires nothing more than the installation from the Zotero page and works great.
Definitely another route to consider if doing academic work on OpenBSD.

Tags
openbsd, reference manager, zotero