DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Closed Thread

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Default Bad moderation.

A thread by MrBiscuit titled "A simple question" was IMO unfairly 'moderated' down, it is now being shown as an invalid thread.

The thread could have been locked to prevent people from posting rather than removing it from sight.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Personally I prefer to just remove threads/posts like this and discus it with the poster in PM rather than do it in public.

The thread can be locked or deleted ... IMO it doesn't make that much difference ...
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Spam Refugee

I agree with the deletion. A tech forum is no place for religious/evangelical activity, even under the moniker of "Off-Topic". OS wars are a different matter ..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Banned

I made a statement.
It was not insulting.
It was not false.
I thought before I typed each word.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Spam Refugee

You could have posted a recipe for apple pie. It would have been a statement, not insulting, not false, and carefully thought out and typed out. It would still be moderated as not belonging on a tech forum.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post
A tech forum is no place for religious/evangelical activity, even under the moniker of "Off-Topic". OS wars are a different matter ..
I totally agree with that.

But, I think you might not have seen the thread.
The OP didn't start any religious/evangelical discussion.
Instead he was raising an objection to some of the stuff that has been posted by members of the forum, on such a sensitive topic, on which people have strong opinions.
And as an example he used one of Carpetsmoker's earlier post which had a link to a site making fun about the non-existence of God.

Now, I am an atheist, and even I think that post was in bad taste.
So instead of moderating/removing that and other similiar posts by other members of this forum, what does the moderator do? ... he quietly removes the
OP's post instead.

Isn't that double-standards?

The OP's post was not a personal attack nor were the contents of the post inflamatory. Infact he politely explained the reason for his objection to the said posts.

When you lock a thread it is visible to all members of the forum, and that is different from hiding a thread.

Last edited by ephemera; 16th April 2009 at 03:59 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Banned

Let's talk about my new Tricycle!

It's red.. but it might even be blue.. you'll never know!

Theology is often debated, in the end it's about personal belief.. the arguments between both sides end up starting unnecessary fighting and in the end just causes frustration and anger.

This is a technology forum for discussing BSD Unix and other technical things, remaining neutral is the best method of avoiding problems.. do not discuss your religious beliefs or disbeliefs, someone is always going to disagree with you.

EOF
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

It was a joke, not to be taken too seriously, in fact, Scott(ro) (Who is Jewish btw.) posted this explicitly.

If someone, for whatever reason, has a problem with this then it's fine, contact me and we can talk.
The thread was a long argument about the existence or nonexistence of God ... Something quite out of place IMO.

I don't want to hide any criticism, deletion is just the standard action whenever a thread/post is deemed unappropriated for whatever reason.
It's not about double standards, my post was a joke, you may or may not have found it funny, it was not a attempt to convince anyone of any religious belief or to debate it.
This is a BSD/Tech forum, some amount of off-topic discussions are good for the ``community spirit'' and getting to know one another, but there is a limit -- And this thread was beyond that limit.

Quote:
Ehm, he did ...

Quote:
When you lock a thread it is visible to all members of the forum, and that is different from hiding a thread.
All right, thread restored&locked.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th April 2009
Spam Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera View Post
But, I think you might not have seen the thread.
I flagged it with the mods. So I certainly saw it. There's off-topic, and there's interplanetary space. That's where this thread was (in subject matter and in distance to tech-oriented topics).

Quote:
Instead he was raising an objection to some of the stuff that has been posted by members of the forum, on such a sensitive topic, on which people have strong opinions.
He could (and should) have voiced his objections in that thread (concisely, I might add), instead of going off on a pseudo-mathematical duck hunt.

Quote:
So instead of moderating/removing that and other similiar posts by other members of this forum, what does the moderator do? ... he quietly removes the OP's post instead. Isn't that double-standards?
No, not at all. Raising a simple objection in context is one thing, erecting an entirely new topic that had no relation whatsoever with the subject matter of these forums is quite another. I don't speak for the mods, of course, but this is why I flagged this post, regardless of how I feel about the subject matter (I'm with Dawkins myself) -> it could have been a recipe for apple pie, for all I care.

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 16th April 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 16th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Yeah, what DutchDaemon said (He formulated it better than I did).
Knuth's homeboy

> instead of going off on a pseudo-mathematical duck hunt.

Granted that the OP post doesn't offer a rigorous reasoning/argument but I see a lot more depth in what he said than an apple pie recipe.

Anyway, the thread is back, matter closed.

And please, no more theological discussions for God's sake.

Last edited by ephemera; 16th April 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 16th April 2009
Spam Refugee

Contrived != deep
And I've tasted some divine apple pie.

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 16th April 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 16th April 2009
Knuth's homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post
Contrived != deep
Then perhaps we have a difference in perception.
Old 16th April 2009
Arp Constable

Wow, you never know what kinda stuff ya miss during workin' hours around here...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 16th April 2009
Knuth's homeboy

I think if we continue to bore everyone with this discussion someone will have to moderate us down.
Old 17th April 2009
Administrator

IMHO delete++ also.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 17th April 2009
Tcpdump Spy

'nuff said.