DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2020
Fdisk Soldier

Default go and OpenBSD

Hi,

I've decided to learn go programming language and I'm planning to buy a couple of books about go. Before I order those books, I should know if there are any issues with go on OpenBSD.
If you experienced any problems using go on OpenBSD or have any advice against using go with this OS, please let me know.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2020
parrot

used key words "using go on OpenBSD ", and did a search, there seem to be a few people that have shared some info on this, you might find the links interesting and maybe of use:
http://blog.tintagel.pl/2015/03/21/g...n-openbsd.html
---------------------
https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/OpenBSD
Quote:
Ensure that the user you intend to build Go with is in the staff login class:
-------------
https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/programming/
Quote:
Generally it looks like if you can stick with OpenBSD 6.2 or better, you're theoretically fine for Go support and can use the latest Go version (and thus build programs that require it, are module based, and so on). OpenBSD 6.2 dates from October of 2017, so many people will be covered by this. A future version of Go may stop working on older OpenBSD versions (the next release of Go will likely only officially support OpenBSD 6.7 and 6.6), but so far there seems to be nothing that would force this.
==========================
Quote:
The Go people have a wiki page on OpenBSD that lists both the Go versions in OpenBSD's ports tree and the built from source versions that are supported on various OpenBSD releases. Additional information comes from the Go release notes for major versions; the release notes are potentially more accurate than the wiki, especially for old OpenBSD releases.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2020
VPN Cryptographer

I've written an number of personal programs on OpenBSD using Go and have never encountered a problem. As a beginner I don't think you'll run into any issues with go and OpenBSD. I installed Go using the OpenBSD package but after that everything follow the any documentation or books you'll read.

Hope that helps.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2020
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
planning to buy a couple of books about go
The Go Programming Language is probably the de-facto book to get, with one small caveat: while the language itself hasn't changed much since its publication, the tooling surrounding the language has seen quite a few changes in the last year or so (notably, the GOPATH deprecation in favour of Go modules, which is still an on-going process). Everything in the book should still work though, and picking up "the new way" of doing things afterwards shouldn't be too hard.

It also assumes prior programming knowledge by the way; it won't go out of its way to explain basic programming concepts in a way that's easily digestible for people who are new to programming in general, so if you are then this is probably not a good book for you (I don't know what would be).

Tags
go golang openbsd