DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Kernel Driver Not accesable error In Virtural Box on Ubntu hardy

00:00:00.751 VirtualBox 1.6.0 r30421 linux.amd64 (Apr 30 2008 22:17:30) release log
00:00:00.751 Log opened 2008-05-05T21:18:05.083667000Z
00:00:00.756 Failed to open "/dev/vboxdrv", errno=13, rc=VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE
00:00:00.758 ERROR [COM]: aRC=0x80004005 aIID={d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf} aComponent={Console} aText={The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..
00:00:00.758 VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE)} aWarning=false, preserve=false
00:00:00.767 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE, hrc=0x80004005)

Any one know Ho i can correct this issue?
Windows = a 32 bit extensions to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a four bit processor written by 2-bit monopolistic software company founded by a .3-bit Harvard Drop out, who can't stand one respectable bit of competition.
If I believe something to be immoral a will not keep quite and let my voice of annoyance be heard loud and clear.

Last edited by FloridaBSD; 7th May 2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Solved
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
New User

for Ubuntu, like...
Code:
sudo usermod -Ga vboxusers [username]
That's what the error message says.

I usually insert the module manually before starting VirtualBox like:

Code:
sudo modprobe vboxdrv
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Ok, the 1.6.0 VBox is a bit messed up actually. If you use bridged networking, you are very likely to have an issue, although you have a better chance of it working if you are running Hardy.

I usually run it on RH based systems, and starting vboxdrv and vboxnet from /etc/init.d/ do the trick. If you're in the vboxusers group (don't forget, once you add yourself, you have to log out and log back in for it to take effect) you should have permissions on /dev/vboxdrv--it's 660 for root:vboxusers.
Could you have forgotten to add yourself to the vboxuser group, or done what I tend to do and forgot to log out and log back in?
@disi, I'm no VBox expert, but that error seems to be more of permissions on the /dev/vboxdrv than the module not being there. In Ubuntu IIRC, I think it might have loaded and kept the module there--I don't recollect having to do a modprobe on it. Right now, on one machine, I'm running subversion, but that's a special case--libs and binaries are contained in a $HOME/vbox directory, though the module does go into /usr/modules.

I repeat, however, that if you used bridged networking, and judging from what I've seen on Vbox forums, even, at times, with the default NAT networking, there have been isuses with 1.6.0. It's fixed according to the developer who posted on the thread, but the fix isn't present till 1.6.2--that was according to his post, subversion, at the time I got it, was 1.6.1 and worked without issues.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
Uber Geek

no link to your crappy website, scottro ? I must say i'm disappointed!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

My only VBox article is on bridging--and, as I said above, it's not working on VBox 1.6.

Of course, if one runs into trouble on wireless bridging in VirtualBox and searches their forums, it seems that most of their users link to my site as a solution.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
Port Guard

Hey, sorry for hijacking. Do you know what video driver to use for Linux in VBox to get better resolution than plain VGA?

Good to see you guys here!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
Port Guard

Driver "vboxvideo"
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Hi Speedy.
I'm not a moderator, but firstly, thank you for being kind enough to post the solution after finding it.
However, please try to avoid thread hijacking. We're trying to get people into good habits.

On the other hand, it's more important that you posted the solution after finding it, so if you lose one point for hijacking, you get 5 points for remembering to post the solution. You're 4 points ahead in my book.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Port Guard

Hi scottro
I'm a rotten selfish individualist by nature ... yep ... but also the picture-straightener type (Monk-like) - which means I do not like unfinished business. And, my understanding of FOSS and it's users is we get and give. BTW, I also use turn lights every time I turn or change the lane, weird, isn't it? I've the strange idea this helps other drivers.
Hope this forum gets going, lots of good people here.