DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2008
Uber Geek

Default Load averages on Linux

We have a linux server at work that runs at a constant load average of 70-85.
This strikes me as VERY odd as this number is awfully high for a server that is still extremely responsive. Even stranger is that the cpu idle time ( shown by top ) shows that all 4 of the cpus are sitting at 90%+ idle time.

I've never seen a unix ( or unix-like ) system get a load average above 6. Is the calculation linux uses for load average different from *BSD and solaris or is this system just a little funky?

Forum Netiquette
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2008
Administrator

In most cases the load average figure is meaningless. See the following threads from http://bsdforums.org
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd July 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
We have a linux server at work that runs at a constant load average of 70-85.
This strikes me as VERY odd as this number is awfully high for a server that is still extremely responsive. Even stranger is that the cpu idle time ( shown by top ) shows that all 4 of the cpus are sitting at 90%+ idle time.

I've never seen a unix ( or unix-like ) system get a load average above 6. Is the calculation linux uses for load average different from *BSD and solaris or is this system just a little funky?
cpu load and cpu usage are not neccesarily the same. The load average is simply the number of jobs the cpu needs to execute within certain period of time. The job may be very intensive, may be not. If not, thats why the load average is high but the system is still responsive.

I know there was a forum under DoS (both distributed and non-distributed), the load average reported went over 100.

Tags
cpu, load average