DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2017
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'
Thumbs up Autoinstall, best thing since sliced bread.

Happy new year everyone!

Recently I started playing with OpenBSD's autoinstall(8) function. It's simply brilliant! Can't imagine living without it anymore and I could kick myself for not having tried it sooner.

After some system freezes with a december 28 snapshot I tried a newer snapshot yesterday. Suddenly the installer aborted and dropped into the shell. As it happens a new question had been added to the installer due to ssl support that's being introduced (see also tedu@'s recent flak). The remedy couldn't have been easier: add the new question = response line
Code:
Unable to connect using https. Use http instead? = yes
to the response file and restart the installer. Everything is just an edit away now. For instance, If I want to, I can now easily install the system with a completely different disk setup by just editing the disklabel template file and let the installer take care of the rest.
I think I even did an extra install just to watch the installer fly-by again. Do I get nerd points for that?

Whoever came up with the autoinstall idea in the dev team: You're the Guv'nor!

Thank you!