DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2009
Port Guard

Default /usr is full (OpenBSD 4.5 current)

Hello,

Happy to be back !

I've installed OpenBSD 4.5 current from a virtual machine (VMware Workstation 6.5.2) and all is OK.

I wanted to install CVS to get and update my source tree. The src is ok but this morning I can't continue the cvs process with xenocara because of a problem of missing space.

Question : how to liberate more space, please ?

Here is my screenshot :

http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images-100/s...7a46f.jpg.html

Thanks.

Valorisa

Last edited by valorisa; 27th May 2009 at 01:21 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2009
More noise than signal

Welcome.

/usr is awfully small.

You will find the du(1) command helpful in determining which of the major hierarchies in /usr (that are not mounted in their own partitions) are consuming the most space. I will assume that a significant amount of /usr space is consumed by /usr/ports, /usr/xenocara, and /usr/xobj (if you were building xenocara at the time).

You can place these in their own partitions, or, you can reconfigure partitions to make /usr larger. There is a growfs(8) utility, but that can only be used when there is free space on disk beyond the partition to be resized, which is usually not the case. Based on what you posted in your image, it looks to me that in order to grow /usr (wd0f), you would have to move /usr/X11R6 (wd0g), /usr/local (wd0h), /usr/src (wd0i), and /usr/obj (wd0j). To increase /usr space, you can either back up and restore, or replicate to free space on the drive and use growfs, or just re-install.

I generally recommend that when people are NEW to this OS, that they start with a single, large partition .... until sizing for their unique environment is determined.

Last edited by jggimi; 27th May 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarified options for /usr
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2009
Port Guard

Hello jggimi,

Thank you very much for yor help. I appreciate really. I'm going to follow your advices.
For the creation of the recommended separate filesystems, I've chosen the automatic mode. Also, the size of /usr is very insuffisant.

Valorisa

Last edited by valorisa; 27th May 2009 at 06:48 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2009
Shell Scout

Another piece of advice since I see you have OpenBSD on VBox. You might try wiping the two HD images that contain malware samples (second and third tabs from left to right in the VBox tab bar) and attaching them to the OpenBSD VM so that you can move the ports and/or any one or two large parts of the filesystem to these HD images.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2009
Port Guard

Hello fbsduser,

Windows se7en and 2008 R2 are for tests only and I've found a solution by using a 60 GB (external Hard Drive) for OpenBSD 4.5. Now /usr has a comfortable space of 38 GB and I am more quiet with the new space. Otherwise, thanks for your advice.

An other question : have you try KDE 4.X with OpenBSD ? What is the result ? Reliability ?

http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.3-beta1.php

http://kde.org/info/4.2.85.php#binary

Thanks.

Valorisa

Last edited by valorisa; 28th May 2009 at 05:33 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorisa View Post
An other question : have you try KDE 4.X with OpenBSD ?
KDE4 has not yet been officially ported to OpenBSD (even in -current). Searching the ports@ mailing list archives revealed the following:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=123983574815587&w=2
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2009
Port Guard

Thanks ocicat for the informations. I've seen that KDE4 is present within the ports.

It's not in a testable state yet.

So I will wait the testable state for that !

Valorisa
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th June 2009
New User

hello!

Make your OpenBSD stable and after clean up the /usr/src directory!
or change the cvs directory by excuting cvs in another directory.

sphex