DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th August 2008
Port Guard

Default Why does smartctl show my temperature threshold as 0?

When I run the smartctl tool against one of my drives it indicates that the smart defined threshold is 0. Should it be something larger? The raw value usually shows something around 25-28, and the normalized value is usually around 100-125. With a threshold of 0 though, how can I tell if a drive has crossed a temperature threshold?

Likewise, how do I interpret the offline_uncorrectable attribute? I currently have a drive with some bad sectors on it, where smartctl shows the raw value for this attribute as 691. The threshold is 0 on this drive, and the current normalized smart value is 182. However, another drive with no bad sectors shows the raw value as 0, the threshold as 0, and the normalized value as 200.

According to this page attribute values can range from 1-253, with 1 meaning bad and 253 being the best possible value. But shouldn't the threshold for bad sectors be something other than 0. This would imply a threshold error condition would never be triggered for this attribute.

I think I must be missing something, or could smartctl not be displaying the correct value for these thresholds?

Last edited by PeterSteele; 25th August 2008 at 05:04 PM.