DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Package Pilot

Default Steal this Wi-Fi!

Anyone else willing to provide free Internet access to everyone?

http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_0110
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Local

I can't say I agree with the guy at all.
  1. I'm a believer in the layered approach to security. WPA2-PSK is certainly not perfect, but it's another layer.
  2. If I opened up my wireless network, I am not sure I would have much bandwidth left to use myself. (I live in a somewhat densely populated area in a tech-friendly city.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
More noise than signal

Bruce and I have had conversations about this very subject in years past.

I too, have a network unprotected by WEP or WPA. But unlike Bruce, my home network is protected by AuthPF and SSH.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Well considering all this talk about Verizon and others starting to limit the amount of data you can download, I don't think this is going to catch on.

I encrypt mine because I don't like the idea of troublesome neighbors using my stuff.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th June 2008
Arp Constable

Waaaaaaiiiiitttt, are we talking about the same Bruce Schneier as in Cryptography !?

I think the open network idea as a 'politeness' thing and such is admirable but, "it's his network" to open ^_^

I've generally looked at WEP as the same protection as an Ethernet cable, only they don't need to physically get into the stream of things to sniff packets off the network.

As good as standing around in Siberia with your shorts down lol.

I use the strongest LCD available for my miniature WLAN, because my internet connection sucks to bad to share and I don't want it easy for anyone to ease drop on credentials. Let them capture enough packets to crack my security, then spend enough time to overcome the encryption on any data I don't want public knowledge when it goes across the 'net. Then figure out how to get into the systems, before I eventually change things around.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2008
More noise than signal

Yes, it's the same Bruce, who's Blowfish cipher was the genesis for Puffy, the OpenBSD mascot.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Yes, it's the same Bruce, who's Blowfish cipher was the genesis for Puffy, the OpenBSD mascot.
I guess that explains why "Brucey Goosey" didn't make it past the first round of deliberations...

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Case by case question.
Depends if you live in a suburb or in a city.
I agree with the politeness argument,
taking it further,
"WAPs everywhere" would construct a meshed network with Internet access for everyone.

When a guest comes to my home, I don't care him to use heat, power, water, the phone.
As long as he does not take the habit of comimg everyday at xx hours to start making his international calls.
I had such three guests using my WAP in the first ten days of the month, until when my bandwith was exhausted.

I am polite with people who are polite with me. Politeness does not includes lending my wallet to everyone.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th June 2008
Banned

Public Wi-Fi is a neat concept on paper, but impractical in reality.

People aren't very friendly, they'll abuse it for sure..

Setting up a Wi-Fi with AuthPF+SSH is fun though, I'd redirect all non-authenticated traffic to a dummy server that displays a bogus error page.
Old 20th June 2008
More noise than signal

For any attemped access, mine uses a virtual host with a very polite static page, suggesting wardrivers have aeronautical intercourse with rotational pastry. Not in so many words, of course.
Old 21st June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Am I the only one who doesn't have any WiFi?
The advantages of WiFi always seemed pretty minor to me, sure, you have internet in the while house (And around it) but just how useful is that?
Even laptops are generally used at the same spot every time...

Anyway,
My brother lives in a 3x4 meter (if not smaller) apartment, it's in a house with 6(?) other students ... You know how these things work.
He doesn't have a phone connection (Which is needed for internet), and the housboss does not seem to be very service-oriented and just sort of shrugs his shoulders when asked about this.

So, he uses some (unprotected) wireless network, as does at least one other student, although (depending on the speed of the connection and the presence of a data limit) the owner of this connection may never notice he has "leechers", I would consider this to be abuse .... And it makes you wonder how often this is happening?

But in spite of this, I agree with Bruce, if I would have a wireless network, it would be open, I never lock my front door either, I would rather have everything stolen once every 20 years orso then live in constant fear of everything being stolen.
Banned

All the computers in my house are wired, I just set one up for kicks.. got a couple free PCI ral(4) cards.
Old 21st June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I also don't use any Wireless. Every few months my parents suggest I set up a wireless network as the one I did for them was a thing of absolute beauty and I do not know how it is still working.

I just foam at the mouth and spin my head while ranting about my infinite love of wired networks.

Of course, the only machines that might benefit from wireless are my sister's laptop, and my Wii. Could be worth it if I find myself extremely bored one day.

But until then, my internet is coming to me through a series of tubes, just as it was meant to be.
Old 21st June 2008
Arp Constable

For me, wireless is only used because if I tried staple gunning an eithernet cable across the ceiling and walls, my mother and the land lord would kill me :-P

Within my laptops range, I'm probably the only encrypted WLAN in the area. Some data that goes through my connection, I'm responsible for it's security so -- encrypted wifi + protocol with encryption + local data is stored encrypted on the file system where convenient.

I would never consider putting a wireless network anywhere (connectively speaking) near a secured location, unless it is as segregated from the wired network as much as technically possible with a scram switch to cut the connection just for paranoias sake.

WiFi has it's perks but I dislike that it opens a wider range of entry points over a purely wired setup, because you can't really guard radio waves very well lol.

In the famous words, "Fix one thing, break another"

Hmm, I wonder if anyone has thought of putting radio wave absorbent or interfering materials into a buildings insulation, in order to reduce the range of the AP outside it's required AOO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlamb View Post
Case by case question.
Depends if you live in a suburb or in a city. ...

I am polite with people who are polite with me. Politeness does not includes lending my wallet to everyone.
very well put lvlamb ;-)

If someone wants to use my network, they can ask first or pay the toll ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 21st June 2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Hmm, I wonder if anyone has thought of putting radio wave absorbent or interfering materials into a buildings insulation, in order to reduce the range of the AP outside it's required AOO.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/23/rf_proof_paint/
http://techdirt.com/articles/20040618/1344246.shtml

Found a couple articles about it, saves having to rebuild your house with wifi-unfriendly material.
Old 22nd June 2008
Arp Constable

Ahh so conventional RAM does do the trick after all xD

Old 25th June 2008
More noise than signal

Default This gives "wardriving" a whole new definition

Unfortunately, I don't think any of these will come with a barista:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...ESS01/80625059

Last edited by jggimi; 25th June 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I have two stories and no ethernet cabling. I've looked into every nook and cranny to run a wire to the 2nd story, without it showing, and it's just too much work. So wifi solved it. I do like to venture from room to room as I work'n'surf. Just last week, my wife decided she didn't want an office anymore so she's moved back to one of the upstairs bedrooms. Wifi for her.

I don't know how I feel about leaving my wifi open. I do have the router set up to only accept traffic from the MAC addresses of the four computers that use it.
Old 3rd July 2008
Coffee Addict

I have always left my WiFi connection open (I've never noticed anyone using it though -- I live in a quite suburban neighborhood). I'm kinda glad my neighbor leaves theirs open too because my router just blew up and by the time my ISP comes to replace it, I will be gone for another week.
Old 7th July 2008
Tcpdump Spy

mweh, soon E.U. citizens may wish to rethink leaving their wifi open:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7492907.stm

So, if you're suspected of spreading copyrighted material you're just banned from the internet, this all happens without the bothersome interference of a court of law of course.

Sjeez, 90% of the people under 30 are violating copyright on a weekly basis (at least), maybe (just maybe) it's the copyright law that needs updating ... Because this is nothing more terrorizing their citizens into doing whatever they want, what was it again? "we the people are sovereign..." .... I don't think many politicians were present during those history lessons....