DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Uber Geek

Default The Ramble

pretty much this is a thread where anyone can just ... well, ramble. Anything goes!

Complain about your day, vent, tell us about your new dog ....
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Uber Geek

Well, i'll start ....

Uni is getting to me, i'm extremely stressed and i hate my job....

Work is planning on doing a huge upgrade over the weekend and i can't believe tomorrow is friday and development is still being done. To me, this is unacceptable, development should have stopped, by Wednesday at the very latest. Who seriously puts untested changes into production. sheesh!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Package Pilot

It's snowing outside... noooooo!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Speaking of snow, we played softball in a mini-snowstorm on Tuesday. It's almost freakin' May, and it's still snowing up here. We almost called the game on account of snow ... who's ever heard of that??

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Must be global warming.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Spam Deminer

Wow, there are ~10 threads which got new posts. It looks promising
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Being nostalgic for a moment, I see that my bestest playfriend Thadyclanda over at that other site is having a field day. Isn't it nice that the BSD community has provided spammers a site all to themselves where they can post & grow new little spammers, etc. all at that Admin's expense? My heart just goes pitty-pat...

There will be one man show over that site
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2008
Uber Geek

Default MS Office - what a joke!

I think i officially hate MS office - even more than i did before...

My university thought it was a great idea to upgrade office on half the machines to office 2007. Now, most machines here have open office as well as MS office so you can really use either. Poor me, the lab i'm in at the moment doesn't have open office so i'm stuck with this 17mb file that i can't open. I used this fantastic service called media convert ( google it ) where you can upload in one format and it will conver it to whatever you want. I converted my stupid file to MS format which took ages, downloaded it now i find out that MS office chokes on huge files like this. It's 'saving' right now and has been doing so for a few minutes.

Another thing, who the hell thought 'ribbons' were a good and useful idea? man, i've never felt so lost in an application before, it's just utterly pathetic! Took me ages to find the save button ... then even longer to find the 'save as' button.

ARRGGHHH

</vent>
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Just use plain text files, any editor will work with those.

If you need fancy stuff, you can use txt2tags or latex.
Uber Geek

this is uni - i take it you have never been or haven't been in a LONG time if you're saying that

i'd happily hand in txt files for assignments .... it'd be MUCH more efficient. my vi skills are much more advanced than my openoffice/ms office skills
Old 2nd May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
Must be global warming.
You took my line!
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey_james View Post
Another thing, who the hell thought 'ribbons' were a good and useful idea? man, i've never felt so lost in an application before, it's just utterly pathetic! Took me ages to find the save button ... then even longer to find the 'save as' button.

ARRGGHHH

</vent>
It looks as if *LOTS* of people feel this way as Microsoft labs has released a search utility for the ribbon. To me that's just crazy, you need a search function to find the function you want to use...nuts. Here is the Article
Uber Geek

i just converted my assignment to PDF - 17MB is now a 2.4MB PDF hahaha how sweet
Old 2nd May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

I was going to suggest PDF --glad you did so.

Did you know that in the old days even Philosphy students submitted papers that were created using ex, formatted using nroff, and printed on line printers? Granted, this was Berkeley, but my former wife did so and had no complaints.
Old 2nd May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I to have a rant about MS Office 2007

At our office I've been running a samba server for like ever, it was one of the first things I've implemented when I started working there. A few weeks ago one of the users told me that for some reason he can't safe his word documents so I had a look at his home dir and all his docs were read only, I though ok this is weird and maybe he did something to them so I fixed it all for him, a few days later he tells me the problem is back. Then this week I needed to use excel for something so I went to one of the computers with MS Office installed and started doing my work, then the same thing happened to me too.

I then decided to look into the problem and it turns out that if you have acl profiling enabled in samba MS Office 2007 safes the file and changes the access to read only.
I thought ok so lets just disable it, problem solved. Yeah right, I was wrong, after I disabled it I had about 10 other users on my back because now Adobe software couldn't safe there stuff.

The solution to my problem was, the people using MS Office have to safe there work on there work station and then at the end of the day they can upload there files to the server. We have more people using Adobe software then MS Office so Adobe won this round.

Maybe this little bug can be fixed in samba, I'll wait for the next version to test it again.
Old 3rd May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
i just converted my assignment to PDF - 17MB is now a 2.4MB PDF hahaha how sweet
I always hated the "you must use .doc for your assignments" dictatorship in university. I don't have Office at home, never have. And there are never enough computers available in the uni labs.

I've always used WordPerfect (which is just so much nicer than MS Office or OpenOffice when it comes to papers longer than 4 pages). WP has one of the nicest "Export to PDF" features. So I used to always turn my papers in as WP documents and PDFs, with a link in my e-mail to the Adobe Reader and Foxit websites.

Got in a few arguments with different profs over it (mostly won by asking if they were going to spend the $800 for a copy of MS Office for me to use just for their class), and lost marks on one assignment, but I really dislike turning in a read/write document format for read-only purposes.

Old 3rd May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamba View Post
I to have a rant about MS Office 2007

At our office I've been running a samba server for like ever, it was one of the first things I've implemented when I started working there. A few weeks ago one of the users told me that for some reason he can't safe his word documents so I had a look at his home dir and all his docs were read only, I though ok this is weird and maybe he did something to them so I fixed it all for him, a few days later he tells me the problem is back. Then this week I needed to use excel for something so I went to one of the computers with MS Office installed and started doing my work, then the same thing happened to me too.
I think it's an issue with Office, period, not just Office 2007. We use Samba servers at all the schools. One school, using Office XP and Office 2003, will sometimes run into "file is read-only, save under a different name" errors when they open/save documents. Watching the filesystem, Office creates hidden temp files when you ask it to save, then renames them to the destination name. But every now and then, the temp file is created read-only, and even though the real file is read-write, they can't save the file as the temp file is not deletable. (Or something along those lines, I haven't looked into it a few months.)

Very aggravating, only happens at one site, and even though the permissions are correct on the Samba server, the permissions in Windows Explorer are read-only.

Old 3rd May 2008
Uber Geek

Quote:
Got in a few arguments with different profs over it (mostly won by asking if they were going to spend the $800 for a copy of MS Office for me to use just for their class), and lost marks on one assignment, but I really dislike turning in a read/write document format for read-only purposes.
we have access to MSDN at uni ... so no excuse to not have windows and office
Old 3rd May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwcash View Post
I've always used WordPerfect (which is just so much nicer than MS Office or OpenOffice when it comes to papers longer than 4 pages).
I'm with you on WP. The "Reveal Codes" command lets you know what the formatter is doing; the equation mode is a thinly-modified version of troff's eqn, in which I can nearly solve PDEs at the keyboard. Sadly, WP's quality went down when it transitioned to a Windows environment: it really was better on DOS. Well, as long as you had their function key template.
Old 4th May 2008
New User

Quote:
we have access to MSDN at uni ... so no excuse to not have windows and office
Do you mean MSDNAA? AFAIK, that only gives you access to OSs and development tools.

However M$ has a promotion for uni students to get Office Ultimate (not the academic version) for a *significantly* reduced price (25$ for the yr, 75$ for life - in AU). They have similar discounts for other countries.

http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au (for AU - has links to other countries too)

*Hurry - promotion ends soon

Office is one of the few M$ products I really like. I would never pay full price for it though, given what I'd be using it for.

That said, where I'm not forced to use a particular Word template, I usually use Google docs (or sometimes TeX).