DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2013
Administrator

Default Joomla FreeBSD port file permissions

The FreeBSD port of Joomla 2.5.11 has the file ownership and permissions of the joomla directories
set as:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel
The files are:
Code:
-r--r--r--  1 www   www
Because of these restricted permissions the Joomla configuration, done through the Joomla web-based PHP code, fails.
The Apache webserver runs as user www and thus cannot modify/write the configuration and remove the Joomla installation directory, that for the sake of security, needs to be done.

So the only way out is to temporarily loosen the permissions and then restore them after configuration.

Is this normal or am I missing something?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd May 2013
Tcpdump Spy

I just installed www/joomla25 and get this:

Code:
[/ports/www/joomla25]# grep \$FreeBSD Makefile
# $FreeBSD: www/joomla25/Makefile 316691 2013-04-27 20:49:53Z nivit $

[/ports/www/joomla25]# lc /usr/local/www/
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  20 www  www  -  512B May 22 23:55:10 2013 joomla/
Quote:
Because of these restricted permissions the Joomla configuration, done through the Joomla web-based PHP code, fails.
IMHO this is what you want, the configuration phase is a special case, in normal operation, the webserver should be able to write as little as possible, or preferably nothing, to your document root (ie. /usr/local/www).

You should compare the PHP files in /usr/local/www/joomla/ to your /bin/ directory. /bin/ isn't writable by users or daemons, they can only read and execute files, why should this be different?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd May 2013
Administrator

This was my first experience with Joomla!.

I understand the configuration case is special, but why not a message that in order to configure you temporarily need to adjust permissions. Now I had to google for that solution.

Maybe I am too spoiled by OpenBSD packages, where usually configuration tips or hints like this are given .

Tags
joomla