DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
New User

Question Noob

Hello,

I have never tried *bsd before and will like to give it a try. I have been a Linux user since 1995, (Slackware mostly).

With Linux all the distributions share (more or less) the same kernel, I understand this is not the case on the BSD world, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD have different kernels, is this correct?

Which BSD should I try? (and why) My main use will be desktop.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Unless you're a hardcore CLI junkie, you should probably start with something like PC-BSD: a user-oriented derivative of FreeBSD. Once you get comfortable with the differences between BSD and Linux, check out FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or NetBSD. FreeBSD is a performance-geared OS that is very nimble, OpenBSD is a stability/security driven OS, and I can't say much for NetBSD because I don't use it (other than to say NetBSD has been ported to tons of architectures).

And even though the BSD's all derive from a common codebase, they've diverged enough to be truly different operating systems. Coming from Linux, you'll likely notice that the BSD's are more consistent as well, because they are developed as kernel + userland by the same team, not kernel by one team and userland by another.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamelle View Post
Hello,

I have never tried *bsd before and will like to give it a try. I have been a Linux user since 1995, (Slackware mostly).
Welcome to the forum. Your background sounds vaguely similar to mine; I started Slackware around 1997 (and before that a bit of MCC Linux!). I still use Slackware, and one of the 3 major BSDs about half-and-half.

Quote:
With Linux all the distributions share (more or less) the same kernel, I understand this is not the case on the BSD world, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD have different kernels, is this correct?
That is basically correct. So, you can't take a FreeBSD kernel, for example, and plop it into an OpenBSD system and expect it to work, it won't (no matter what you might expect ). I guess with Linux there are some renegade kernels but it's not something I ever paid much attention to.

Quote:
My advice is try them all, but one at a time! So the question is which to start with? I would spend a very limited amount of time assessing (but not obsessing over) my needs -- is there some feature(s) I *must* have? -- and any special hardware requirements. Then look at Free (and/or PC), Open and Net, and see how they match up to those. With that, and if you see anything especially intriguing, just pick one and try it first.

You're sure to find some things you like better, and worse, among all of them and Linux. That's the nature of it. Good luck!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamelle View Post
I use FreeBSD as my desktop/workstation (even at work), so I would recommend FreeBSD.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2010
UNIX lover

Many moons ago I started with some ancient UNIX called Siemens SINIX. Without any convenient GUI-Tools it was sometimes hard but the best way to learn it. Try FreeBSD first, starting with a GUI is prone to failure, because sometimes you have to use the console and then you'll fail because you don't have any experience.