DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

Default Weeks of searching and no answer yet - is openbsd performance good for web server ?

After weeks of searching and I can't find the answer - is openbsd performance good enough for web server ?

I see many say that freebsd is far better in performance but some say that the
new versions of openbsd are also good in performance.

It is for a news site, might have some high loads.

Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

You need to define very clearly what you mean by "web server" and "performance". Without definition, both terms are meaningless -- your question cannot be answered.

Any computer can serve web pages. But ... how many pages per second or per minute? How complex are these pages? How much of the complexity is managed by the "web server" and how much by other servers in your network? This might be a separate database server, an application server, or an authentication server? Do you envision ever requiring multiple web servers and load balancing?

--

You only mention "news site" and "high load". But you need to tell us what that means. You also need to define your intended hardware platform.

With what we know so far, the only answer that any of us could provide is "maybe." The more information you can provide, the better your answers will be.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

Default dedicated server - 4 Gig memory

portal site , serving maybe 1000/10000 users .

One computer for database and web server.
using nginx as the server.

never mind what computer, dedicated server , dual core.
I sit big difference or not ? 100% or 500% better ?

How far is openbsd ver 5.1 form freebsd in performance.

I read that it was improved lately, is that true?

The big problem with openbsd is all the myths around it.
Just read the forums and see so much people think so many things.

It is important to make some tests with ver 5.1 against freebsd and linux 2.6 and publish them online.

test from 2003
http://www.undeadly.org/cgi?action=a...20031019083707

Last edited by barti; 20th August 2012 at 03:05 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
portal site
Portal? Portal to what? Serving portlets?
Quote:
serving maybe 1000/10000 users .
Define in terms of pages served per a specific time period. (examples: "200 pages per second" or "one million pages per month".) Define your pages (examples: "Serving Drupal" or "custom PHP pages" or "proxy to external web pages with custom CSS" or "static pages".) A "web page" can be delivered with very little compute resource, or with heavy compute requirements.
Quote:
One computer for database and web server.
Computers can be very small, or very large. Be specific about your hardware. Be specific about the database environment. How large a database, how complex a schema, and how many transactions are required in a given time period (per second, per minute) to deliver your web pages?
Quote:
How far is openbsd ver 5.1 form freebsd in performance.
Why don't you test both OSes, on the hardware you intend to use, with the software you intend to use, and find out? Install and configure each OS and the software you intend to use, execute typical transactions, and log resource consumption and elapsed time -- then make your choice.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

500/1000 per seconds .

Dynamic content.

Drupal 6 or 7.

I don't know all the details.

But I have a feeling that freebsd is my system, not openbsd.

M5Hosting and servint recommends me to use only freebsd and not openbsd.

-

Last edited by barti; 20th August 2012 at 03:26 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
500/1000 per seconds .
You haven't described your hardware -- but here is a benchmark of Drupal 7 service all contained on the same computer. They were able to achieve just over eight and one half transactions per second. (0.03 transactions per seconds, with 286.21 average users).

This is 1-2% of your desired transaction rate.

The hardware and software used for that benchmark: a dual core AMD 64 X2 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB SATA disk, with Ubuntu 8.04.1, Apache 2, MySQL 5.0, PHP 5.2.4.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

Still I can't get that simple answer.

If I get a dedicated from m5hosting.com put on it drupal 6 + mysql + php.

Serving a community of 2000 users.

Openbsd or freebsd ?

I think the best is to use freebsd as web server + database server and openbsd as the front server - firewall.

Last edited by barti; 20th August 2012 at 05:52 PM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
Still I can't get that simple answer.
No, you can't. Your question isn't simple.
Quote:
If I get a dedicated from m5hosting.com put on it drupal 6 + mysql + php.
Which dedicated server? They have many different hardware offerings.

Had you specified what hardware you were considering, a general recommendation might have been forthcoming. For instance, multiprocessor performance with FreeBSD is generally better than with OpenBSD. That does not mean that it would always be the case or that it would be so for your application.

I'd recommended to you that you test your solution with both OpenBSD and FreeBSD. It will take a few hours. That is much less time than your "weeks of searching".
Quote:
Serving a community of 2000 users.
The number of unique users is of little import, that's just the number of rows in a database table. Of far more importance is the transaction rate required.

You had already told us in this thread that you wish to support a rate of 500-1000 transactions per second. I have shown you a benchmark of a small Intel-compatible server environment -- Linux instead of BSD and Apache instead of nginx, but with the MySQL database on the same computer. That was able to produce less than 9 transactions per second. Either your requirements are wrong, or your application will require far more computing resource than a single Intel-based computer.
Quote:
I think the best is to use freebsd as web server + database server and openbsd as the front server - firewall.
You could install and run your solution on any OS that supports your application suite. You have a preconceived notion that FreeBSD will be better. Fine. But you asked for opinions. My opinion is that you do not have a clear understanding of your needs, and that Drupal deployments are resource intensive. If you really need 500-1000 TPS, it doesn't matter what OS you choose; no standard Intel-based platform is likely to be able to supply that level of service.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

Does FreeBSD performs much better than OpenBSD or not ?

The hardware is not the issue here.

How the kernel behaves under heavy loads ?

Because of high security you have to give up performance?
Old 20th August 2012
Administrator

IMHO if you have to use something like Wordpress or Joomla or badly written PHP you are already compromising with security

The latest and fastest Apache 2.4, has not been ported to OBSD yet, so that would force you to go for the FreeBSD way.
More noise than signal

J65, barti chose nginx.

barti, you want a simple, easy answer for a question that can only be answered by a benchmark that you conduct yourself.

Ok. Here's an easy answer: FreeBSD is better.

That answer is a lie.

The truth is, IT DEPENDS.

Your unwillingness to accept that does not make it less true.
Old 20th August 2012
Shell Scout

I actually prefer openbsd, but when people tell me to use freebsd , Then I have a problem with myself.
Old 20th August 2012
More noise than signal

The OS is nothing more than a tool. You keep asking which hammer is best, but you don't yet know if you have a nail sticking up.

Your earlier statement that "hardware is not the issue" is incorrect. These two OSes have widely divergent SMP implementations, and as I mentioned earlier, generally FreeBSD offers higher multiprocessor performance -- but only when the workload is highly parallel. Serialized workloads (or a single CPU server) will not see these differences. Your hosting vendor offers dedicated servers that vary widely in performance capability, from single processor Intel Atom machines to 8-way Intel Xeon platforms. Saying "a dedicated server" is not meaningful when you are asking about performance.

If a high transaction rate is a real requirement, you should consider what a high-transaction rate infrastructure entails. Multiple servers, load balancing, the ability to add new servers to increase performance and scale quickly. Multiple servers are also used to add security, as I show in the example below. In this example, there are two firewalls. FW1 permits access only to the web servers, FW2 permits only SQL access only from the web servers, and nothing from the Internet. The "web server farm" may include load balancers to direct incoming transactions to web servers, or FW1 may provide that service. As demand increases, additional web servers may be added. As demand declines, web servers may be removed.
Code:
{internet} - [FW1] - [web server farm] [FW2] - [database]
Note: Additional separation of duties is possible for some web infrastructures. For instance, I've deployed solutions that had separate web and application servers; the web servers managed presentation and the application servers executed business logic. This was not PHP however, where it is difficult to separate the two. I've also deployed separate authentication and authorization servers, to isolate those services from the application layer, simplifying business rules.