DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Instant reboot with 7.0-RELEASE

After installing 7.0-RELEASE on an asus a7n266 motherboard with athlon-xp cpu, the new system never gets to the prompt and constantly reboots. Since the installation cd actually booted and completed the install, I'm not sure of the problem.

I can install and boot into 6.3-RELEASE, copy the GENERIC kernel from 7.0 and that works.

EDIT: I have added nvidia_load="YES" to loader.conf and now the 6.3 install has similar behaviour, except I can see that it loads nvidia and then reboots. After removing that line from loader.conf, the options menu is reached and I can load nvidia from the loader prompt with no further problems. Is there any way to prevent the module from being loaded prematurely, but loaded during the boot process?

Last edited by davidgurvich; 19th May 2008 at 07:11 PM.