DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2008
New User

Default Dropped to grub terminal, stumped.

Edit -- I've managed to boot and point grub to /grub/menu.lst rather that /boot/grub/menu.lst but I don't know how to make this permanent. I can't `ln /boot/grub/menu.lst /grub/menu.lst` like I tried to do as /boot isn't a directory and I probably misunderstand what ln is for anyway. Any ideas on this? Thanks.
Hi all,

This is my second time installing OpenBSD 4.3 and the first time dual-booting with it (other OS is WinXP at the beginning of the drive). I've never had to deal with bootloaders in a BSD and only vaguely remember configuring them in Linux.

On boot, I'm dropped to a grub terminal. I've done this so far:

> root (hd0)

Filesystem type unknown, using whole disk.

That's cool. The next step as I understand it is to specify a kernel path. but I've no idea how this is done. I can find only examples containing abstract variables like 'file' instead of an example of the filepath.

I've tried mounting the disk from OpenBSD CD but it returns that there is no such entry in /etc/fstab. I'm even more clueless at this point as I've never done anything with this and can't seem to fine anything I understand.

All attempts to find anything covering this are futile. It seems as if everyone writing any sort of grub or *BSD page assumes the user can boot or edit menu.lst somehow. I've no idea where to go from here and would greatly appreciate a hard shove in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jack; 12th December 2008 at 05:39 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2008
Banned

OpenBSD doesn't use grub..

Please explain your setup in more detail.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2008
More noise than signal

I am going to assume that GRUB had been installed as the bootloader from a prior Linux install.

If so, I believe you have two options:

Option 1: If Linux will no longer be one of your operating systems: Install a standard MBR boot program, that loads and executes the PBR of the "active" partition. Follow guidelines for multiboot from FAQ 4 after successful installation and execution. A lot of us like the GAG bootloader, as it is easy to install/deinstall and configure.

One method to do install a standard MBR boot program would be to boot the OpenBSD install media, select the shell, and use:
# fdisk -u <device>
See the fdisk(8) man page for assistance.

If the OpenBSD partition was previously flagged as the boot partition ("active" in Microsoft's terminology), which happens during OpenBSD install, then OpenBSD should then boot.

Option 2: If Linux is retained: you may elect to continue to use GRUB. Follow the instructions in the INSTALL.linux document that can be found on the installation CD or at your closest mirror in /pub/OpenBSD/<rel>/<arch>.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2008
New User

Oh, I see. It's a remnant of Fedora I installed over. I thought I'd missed a configuration step somewhere. I'll install GAG, then.

Thanks.