DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
New User

Default Install ports from cd?

Hi all,

Can I install packages from ports from a cd or do I have to have an internet connection?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCipherx View Post
Can I install packages from ports from a cd or do I have to have an internet connection?
Note that the OpenBSD project recommends installing applications from packages over ports. Read Section 15.2.2 of the FAQ for more information:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#Easy

If you have the official CD set, many of the packages available for the more popular hardware platforms can be found there. Otherwise, you will need an Internet connection to install these applications.

Note that for the i386 platform, there is little if any reason to ever compile applications as most are already available as packages. This does not hold true for the less common platforms.

If you are new to OpenBSD & its packages/ports system, studying Section 15 will save you significant time.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
More noise than signal

Building ports requires an Internet connection in order to fetch the source files for each port and all of its dependencies. The ports tree contains makefiles, patches, packing lists, and other components needed to create packages. It does not contain any of the application source code.

Last edited by jggimi; 2nd June 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarity
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Administrator

In another place, your friend or your work, you could fetch all the source files and write them to CD
Code:
make fetch
Of course you will have to repeat that for the dependency ports. I never had to do this but this should fetch all dependencies
Code:
make fetch depends
The only remaining problem is how to tell the ports makefile at home to retrieve the files from your CD instead through ftp.
I will leave that to others, as I don't have the time at this moment to figure that out
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Spam Deminer

You have a perfectly good working OpenBSD with the install iso.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
The only remaining problem is how to tell the ports makefile at home to retrieve the files from your CD instead through ftp.
I will leave that to others, as I don't have the time at this moment to figure that out
I thought it first searches ${PORTSDIR}/distfiles first and then go to ftp sites if not found there?

I don't quite understand your post xCipherx - you want to install packages, ports or you want to download them on separate machine and then install at home?
If one has distfiles on a CD it should be enough to cp them to distfiles dir or set a DISTDIR variable pointing to there.
If installing packages (recommended as opposed to ports) from a CD then set PKG_PATH to the mount path of CDROM.

Have not used OpenBSD for a while, I hope I'm not wrong here.