DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2012
Port Guard

Default All in

Contemplating moving my main laptop from ubuntu to openbsd...

Has anyone tried doing so. dropping all os's for openbsd? What do you miss and what do you appriciate bing all open sourced?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2012
bsdstudent

Hi jjennings089 and welcome !
So far I haven't missed anything vital since I migrated from Win/Mac to OpenBSD .. it's king as firewall .. but KING as well as a workstation/desktop .. Going opensource means being freer, but going BSD means being cooler, more secure .. more enlightened :-)
OpenBSD is a wonderful Operating system .. just go ahead , try it, use it, and don't tell anyone it's Free, Functional and Secure !!
:-)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2012
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I've done the same, but not because I prefer OpenBSD but rather because every other OS out there irritates me in some way, shape, or form. OpenBSD is the closest to "my ideal" that I've found.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about what I "miss" in other OS's...heh.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2012
More noise than signal

OpenBSD is my preferred environment for general purpose workstation applications. It is not my only workstation OS. I use both Linux and Windows for specific applications that are not available to me with OpenBSD.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2012
Administrator

@jjennings089

I have done that with FreeBSD, but that is kinda different story as You asked for OpenBSD. Its also easier to do so on FreeBSD as there is VirtualBox available (and I use many systems within these virtual machines), on OpenBSD You are left with QEMU option only.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Default Single-hearted OpenBSD

It works. My main desktop at home runs nothing else at all, never has. Laptop was able to run it, but OpenBSD couldn't run the webcam, so I reverted it. It's still handy to have a Windows box for flash from time to time, although the get_flash_videos script has given OpenBSD amazing progress.

Frankly, if flash played nicer and the laptop camera would work, I'd never run anything else at home. I love the cleanliness.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2012
Arp Constable

In my experience, the specifics of your hardware and your need for proprietary formats has a huge impact on choosing a windows alternative. There has been significant OpenBSD-current progress in openjdk/icedtea-web but it is too early to say that java apps will run as well in OpenBSD as FreeBSD or Linux. You can search the forum for discussions on Flash videos and the alternatives.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2012
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I've actually had more difficulty getting java apps working on Linux than OpenBSD. YMMV.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2012
Arp Constable

The icedtea-web binary has just undergone several recent updates (1.2 -> 1.3 -> 1.3.1).
OpenBSD-ports
I was getting a fair number of firefox core dumps and am awaiting the latest patch from my 2nd tier snapshot server.

I had good luck with the older jre/jdk that I built from ports but it was such a PITA (and security hole) that I gave it a pass. If openjdk/icedtea-web is more stable I hope to figure out how to temporarily enable in firefox when needed.

Anyone know if there is something like flashblock plugin?
To answer my own question
NoScript

Last edited by shep; 15th November 2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added NoScript link
Old 17th November 2012
Port Guard

I'm all in. I installed 5.1 configured my desktop and promptly upgraded to 5.2, you're responsible for upgrading your desktop, so when I updated to 5.2 from disk, it re-installed the core and my desktop popped up just fine, then I had to upgrade my applications via pkg_add. pkg_delete is cool too and includes the option of bringing your install back to core, by default it doesn't delete your configuration files, but the option is there if you want.

I use the BlackBox window manager, I'm not sure about Gnome or KDE. Blackbox has great documentation.

With blackbox, firefox, gnash, and mplayer I can download and listen to music from my Amazon account if I download my songs one at a time. The gnash package crashes a bit when visiting Youtube, but NoScript and FlashBlock both work.

I like Blackbox and OpenBSD together because with Blackbox you absolutely have to read the documentation and I think that mindset compliments OpenBSD quite well.
Old 17th November 2012
Administrator

Welcome, vanGrimoire!
Old 19th November 2012
BSD_ROCKS

I switched from linux to OpenBSD since version 4.7 and never looked back. I am running 5.2 i386 (release) on my Thinkpad R61. Everything works, even suspend. Simply awesome. If you willing give up few things like flash then OpenBSD is a great choice.
I like it a lot
Old 23rd November 2012
Port Guard

I've been running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE-p3 on my desktop and laptop but didn't feel like I was utilizing them both to the full extent and installed OpenBSD 5.2 on my PC last night. I had it installed briefly a few months ago but the difference in the OpenBSD ports system way of doing things put me off and I didn't leave it installed long enough to really get the hang of it before I switched back to FreeBSD.

I feel much more at home with it this time around. I ran into a couple problems along the way (not enough space alloted to /usr for the ports I wanted to compile) but am compiling the last of my programs now and am just about ready to boot into Fluxbox for the first time.

I probably won't be converting my laptop over any time soon, but am pretty happy with the way things have gone so far. I'm comfortable enough with FreeBSD to get things done and am going to stick with it till I get more familiar with the OpenBSD way of doing things, though I might have to ask a question or two along the way.
Old 24th November 2012
BSD_ROCKS

Trihexagonal
Why using ports???

"pkg_add" works fine. In most cases packages works just nice. I did not came across
yet that I need use ports on OpenBSD.

If I remember correctly packages are preferred method to install in OpenBSD.
Old 24th November 2012
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Additionally, it should be pointed out that all the ports system does it build *packages* and install the packages. Unless you have some strange requirement (build options, etc...) that aren't default, or whatever, you really should use packages. In fact, there's an option you can put in /etc/mk.conf to have ports fetch the appropriate packages and only build packages it can't find in your $PKG_PATH. I forget the option off the top of my head (something along the lines of FETCH_PACKAGES?).
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako_Elite View Post
Trihexagonal
Why using ports???

"pkg_add" works fine. In most cases packages works just nice. I did not came across
yet that I need use ports on OpenBSD.

If I remember correctly packages are preferred method to install in OpenBSD.
The ports system is one of the things I like best about FreeBSD. I started using FreeBSD 7 years ago and in all that time I've only used packages to install programs a handful of times. OpenBSD not having portupgrade, portaudit, and portmaster is what put me off when I used it before and the reason I went back to using FreeBSD then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket357 View Post
Additionally, it should be pointed out that all the ports system does it build *packages* and install the packages. Unless you have some strange requirement (build options, etc...) that aren't default, or whatever, you really should use packages. In fact, there's an option you can put in /etc/mk.conf to have ports fetch the appropriate packages and only build packages it can't find in your $PKG_PATH. I forget the option off the top of my head (something along the lines of FETCH_PACKAGES?).
I've been using:

Code:
# make package BULK=Yes
to build packages from ports then installing them by that method and that's been working well. I've got all my programs installed now doing it that way, have got all my music and videos transferred over to my new OpenBSD box, and already been using it to go online and find some OpenBSD wallpapers so I can post a screenshot.
Old 24th November 2012
More noise than signal

The packages you build from ports and the packages you install with pkg_add(1) are functionally the same. Building ports only consumes time and resources, and you also have additional packages built and installed that are build dependencies but not run dependencies.

The portupgrade tool you are missing from FreeBSD does have an equivalent replacement. After upgrading the OS, the OpenBSD admin merely upgrades all installed packages with pkg_add(1)'s -u option.

If you insist on building everything from ports, you may find OpenBSD's Distributed Port Builder dpb(1) very helpful, even if you are not building thousands of ports on a server farm, but only dozens on a single system. The dpb(1) binary is in /usr/ports/infrastructure/bin. While the tool by default builds the entire tree, you can create a pathlist file containing just the ports you wish to have built.
Old 25th November 2012
Port Guard

I probably will use mostly packages with OpenBSD. Keep in mind I only installed it about 48 hours ago, here's a screenshot to show the progress I've made so far, so it's been a learning experience for me. Not to mention a test to see how things went and if I even wanted to devote one of my FreeBSD machines to OpenBSD, which I do. I'll probably reinstall it in a couple days and do a few things differently.

Last edited by Trihexagonal; 25th November 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 25th November 2012
BSD_ROCKS

Trihexagonal

Looking nice. I am also using Fluxbox. I did not know about Xfe (file manager)..I downloaded it
and I like it along with Rox-Filer (file manager).
Also on the left side of the screen is that a Conky? If it is how you set it up to looks like that?
Old 25th November 2012
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Ahh, that brings back memories. I used flux/conky for years, but within the past 3-4 years I switched to cwm/tmux full time.

Looks good, Trihexagonal!