DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2008
New User

Default CD Access in KDE

New to bsd. Used Linux 2 years. Not great with command line, but can copy past to enter commands, edit files, and post terminal outputs to forum messages if need be.

i am running Kde on FreeBsd 7.0 trying to install Nvidia drivers. Don't have it connected to net as I have no router and another pc is, so out of convenience I just downloaded the driver with that one, burned it to a rewriteable disk and then put it in the bsd machine. Unfortunately when I tried to access the drive it said "feature only available with HAL".

What do I need to do to make the cd/writer available in Kde?

Last edited by corey_james; 10th May 2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: renamed thread title
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

maybe these links can help you

http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/free.../cdburning.php
http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/free...e_cd_icons.php
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Uber Geek

In the future, please name your threads with a bit more description . 'beginner' says nothing
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Yes, please do! Oh, and Corey, you got the name wrong - he is asking about cd reading, by the way. Hard to tell - a degree in 'psychic' would be helpful in some of these posts!

Anyway, read those handbook articles (or a translation of them, maybe), and you will understand what is going on. For the time being, use the command line "mount" command. This should work:
# mount /cdrom

if not, try
# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

(both commands need to be run as root. If you have not installed sudo, use the su command.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Uber Geek

thanks - changed again
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
New User

Cd access is most apt.

I was trying to let you know ahead of time that my question was going to be a somewhat basic newbie type of question and to give you somewhat of an idea of my level of expertise before asking you. If you had given answers to me that were too far beyond my ability to understand then I would have needed to come back, tell you that and ask again. Such things can become more complex and involved, so I decided that it would be simpler to tell you up front.

Without the prelude the question is: What do I need to do to make the cd/writer available in Kde?

Thanks for the answers. I'll look at them and see what I can do with them.

Last edited by Scott; 10th May 2008 at 10:11 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2008
New User

I did everything on the page that told how to access the drive except for creating the desktop icons, but it doesn't work.

http://www.bsdguides.org/guides/free...e_cd_icons.php

It seems that this procedure creates a folder for the cdrom in your home folder and icons on the desktop.

However although this would give me access to the drive it is not precisely what I was looking for.

I'd rather not have the folder in there if it isn't necessary. I didn't create the desktop icons because I didn't want them either, however it gives no access to the drive in the folder in any case. It's empty when a cd is in the drive.

What I was hoping to do was to get it to give me access to the drive under "Storage Media" on the "Services" or "System" tabs in Konqueror. Unfortunately it still doesn't do that either, and returns the error "Feature only available with Hal" when I try to access it from there.

#8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Well, create the desktop items and see if it does work.

HAL stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer. I am not fully familiar with what it does, but I believe it is something relatively new in the linux world, and does not exist in the BSD arena. Without knowing what version of KDE you are using, I cannot be sure, but I would say that the guide you were looking at is from before the days of KDE accessing linux's HAL.
As i stated before, the easiest way to access cds is to use the command line 'mount' commands, as I stated earlier. I do not know how the FreeBSD KDE team is going in getting the most recent KDEs media handling stuff working.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Well, create the desktop items and see if it does work.

HAL stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer. I am not fully familiar with what it does, but I believe it is something relatively new in the linux world, and does not exist in the BSD arena.
@robbak: you are dinosaurus. FreeBSD have hald in ports, and KDE, GNOME and XFCE are able to automount various stuff in FreeBSD.

@OP: take PC-BSD or DesktopBSD.
Old 13th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Yup, seems like I am. Ah, well, I'm here to learn, too.

So then, the next step seems to be to check whether hald is installed and running. You know

$ pkg_info hal\* # Tells you if hald is installed, if not install /usr/ports/systils/hal (exact method depends on whether you are using portmaster of portupdate for package management)
$ ps -wax |grep hald #Tells you if hald is running. If not, then, well, it depends on the port, but generally, edit /etc/rc.conf to add a line like hald_enable="yes", and run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start. Examine the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald for the exact instructions.

Last edited by robbak; 13th May 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: knuckle-dragger errors.
Old 13th May 2008
New User

Ahh. Actually no, I don't know. As I said we are working at the outer limits of my abilities here.

If I'm not back within 24 hours send in the search and rescue team.
On the other hand better make that a week. No sense rushing things.

Just as a matter of FYI I dono how to use ports yet.