DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Wireless + wired = confused network setup

On 2 different systems that have both a wireless and wired card there is an issue with the system not configuring the network properly when both are enabled. If one is not enabled in rc.conf there is no problem. Is there a way to establish that one of the interfaces is the primary and the other the secondary?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2008
Uber Geek

Can you give a little more detail about your network setup ?

Forum Netiquette
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

One uses ral+xl and the other uses ipw+fxp. On both systems, I enable both in rc.conf.

On the desktop that causes intermittent issues as the wireless router is not on the same network as the wired and dns gets confused. /etc/rc.d/netif restart sorts that one out when it happens, but should not be necessary. I've disabled the ral interface there and that seems to handle the issue.

On the laptop I could disable the wired connection, as I almost never use it that would work. Ideally, I would like to have both enabled as I plan to give the system to someone else. Oddly, even though the wired connection does not get an ip, the issue seems similar. The issue is identical when I do connect with fxp and the ipw interface gets associated.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th May 2008
New User

On desktop you can use two DNS records in /etc/resolv.conf

I dont understand problem with laptop. You can't connect 2 interface(wired and wireless) in the same network(you can do it, but it's not right, bcoz OS cant choise interface for send packet)