DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 24 15.09%
Suse 4 2.52%
Debian 36 22.64%
Slackware 30 18.87%
Gentoo 13 8.18%
Ubuntu 23 14.47%
Others 29 18.24%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th August 2008
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden
I also tried Mac OS X (10.5.2) and I liked it, the only bad thing was that my Intel X3000 card is not supported but X3100 is :/ but all other things woked very well. I must also try Mac OS X with MacPorts.
Did you install it on a non-Mac? If so, how did you manage that?
It's called OSx86, basically, it's a hack for x86 OSX to allow it to run on regular PC's.
My personal experience with it involves kernel panics, kernel panics, more kernel panics, and then some.

Quote:
I use Debian at work, generally works, but I also do not consider it a bet choice. There is one thing though, in Debian installer that I like, continue installation using ssh mode. I will not mention here that you have to first type expert at cd loader, because without that you will not be able to choose taht option (fuck like a tought quest in Fallout ...), then load cd components, then at last continue ...
Hmm, more like one of those extreme buggy quests you can never hope to solve if you accidently do one tiny thing out of order...

Quote:
I also hate their www server defautl configs. In FreeBSD we have ONE nginx.conf or httpd.conf simple, but in debian we have a whole bunch of files links dirs and so, sites-enabled, sites-disabled, modules-enabled, modules-to-consider, just great ...
# cat conf1.conf conf2.conf conf3.conf [...] > httpd.conf

Quote:
You should try ArchLinux if you want Linux, or Draco Linux.
Yes, I know about them, but I never used either.
But both of them seem to be trying to be BSD with a Linux kernel ... If I want to use BSD I would use ... BSD ... Not BSD with a Linux kernel ...

Anyway ... I installed CentOS, so far it seems rather nice, other than the fact that 1680x1050 resolution doesn't work (odd ... But seems morel like Xorg issue than CentOS).

It seems to be pretty desktop oriented, no gcc by default for example, Windows-style pop-up ``balloons'' for updates, etc.