DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Default Preferred Reading

I would like some advice on what books to purchase in order to further my understanding of OpenBSD and Unix in general. I am overwhelmed by the shear volume of books available.

I have already ordered "Absolute OpenBSD" by Michael Lucas. It may be a bit outdated but I think it will help increase my understanding of OpenBSD specifically.

I really want to here from ocicat, jggimi and you other veterans that have helped me in the past.

Its time that I start contributing back.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadgnol67 View Post
I would like some advice on what books to purchase in order to further my understanding of OpenBSD and Unix in general.
As you may have already discerned, there aren't many OpenBSD titles available, & there certainly aren't many recent works published. Nevertheless, the two newest titles should be on your short list::
  • Michael Lucas has just published SSH Mastery: OpenSSH, PuTTY, Tunnels, & Keys in electronic form. You will find information on where to find it on undeadly & in this daemonforms' thread.
  • Peter Hansteen's second edition of The Book of PF for networking. Note that this book is based on his online manuscript which is periodically updated.
Both of these titles may be more topic specific than you were hoping to see, but they are solid works, & supporting the authors that target the small OpenBSD niche market helps provide the positive feedback needed for them to write & update more works.

As for general Unix titles, my personal favorite is a classic:Disclaimer: I reference Amazon merely for convenience. Most books can be found at other outlets too.

Lastly, re-reading the project's FAQ is time well spent. Besides the technical content, seeing where the project may be moving in the future can be found in-between the lines.

Last edited by ocicat; 11th February 2012 at 03:13 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2012
New User

Michael W Lucas
Michael, The second edition of Absolute OpenBSD is ready or still not?
Answer:
Still writing. I'll scream loudly & at length when it's done.
:-)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpepi View Post
The second edition of Absolute OpenBSD is ready or still not?
Michael mentions the progress made on the second edition periodically on his blog:

http://blather.michaelwlucas.com/archives/978

For those interested (including me...), reading his blog on occasion reveals a number of tasty snacks.

#5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2012
Administrator

If you don't mind an older book "Secure Architectures with OpenBSD" by Palmer and Nazario is an excellent choice.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Thank you everyone!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
Michael mentions the progress made on the second edition periodically on his blog...
A flurry of related messages cropped up on misc@ in the last day following the announcement that SSH Mastery in print form will be sold be sold through the Computer Shop of Calgary (one of the official distributors of OpenBSD...)

http://marc.info/?t=132952511800003&r=1&w=2

Mention is also made on the progress of the second edition of Absolute OpenBSD. For those reading this thread much later on, this ties together all known information at this time.